+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xmas 2015 Restoration project - Heybrook HB2 v1 speakers -Saved from Henpecked Hubbie

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Have you done much veneering before? Something makes me suspect not.
    Yep once or twice. But its for FUN, remember that?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Yep once or twice. But its for FUN, remember that?
    lol good reply!
    he's obviously not that good at it
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    They've got the wrong bass units in them! HB2s were originally fitted with bextrene-coned units from Audax.

If you do an image search you'll find a number have the wrong drivers fitted. A pair sold on Canuck Audio had Vifa ones. On Boxing Day a seller had a pair for sale with blown tweeters and again with different bass drivers and was wanting £170. I sent her a message mentioning the drivers, and as such weren't worth the figure she was asking. She said she would remove the ad (which she did) and investigate and thanked me.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    If you do an image search you'll find a number have the wrong drivers fitted. A pair sold on Canuck Audio had Vifa ones. On Boxing Day a seller had a pair for sale with blown tweeters and again with different bass drivers and was wanting £170. I sent her a message mentioning the drivers, and as such weren't worth the figure she was asking. She said she would remove the ad (which she did) and investigate and thanked me.
    I didnt realise they were fetching that sort of money. This project was mainly done for fun and to improve my basic soldering, veneering and diagnostic skills. I'm happy working on passive bits of kit, amps and active kit is best left to those with far more experience than myself. These will live in my "charity shop system" which is a system of components that have been bodged together purely to test charity shop purchases before comitting the vinyl to either valve or solid state system.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Stephen.

Well, earlier in the year a pair went for about £70. Originally they cost £185, I think. A one-time mate got a pair and used them with a Nad 3020. The bass came as a bit of a shock after his previous Wharfedale Linton XPs.

I gave my sister a pair with a Linn Basik and a Denon system. She doesn't really appreciate what it is. A couple of times I've tried to set the speakers up but she later moves them. Has one bunged right in a corner between a wall and bookcase and no space right now. I've given up.

Oh, I saw grills in 3 colours for them on ebay for about £50

I'm Andrew.

Im not bothering with Grills I've liked them.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Stephen.

Oh, it was a Google search that presented the grills and not eBay. £52 + VAT in Black, White or Dark Brown from Wilmslow Audio.

I'm Shane.

The original bass units were definitely chosen for sound rather than robustness! They had a rather thin pressed steel basket supporting a large and heavy magnet assembly, so it didn't take much of a knock to put the whole thing out of alignment and end up with a rubbing voice-coil, and quite a few had to be replaced under warranty. I think Audax subsequently produced a similar unit with a cast alloy basket that was used in the short-lived and rather unloved HB2R, but there never was anything similar after that. Still, at least they didn't have foam surrounds to rot away so the ones that survived undamaged will be as good now as they ever were.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    The original bass units were definitely chosen for sound rather than robustness! They had a rather thin pressed steel basket supporting a large and heavy magnet assembly, so it didn't take much of a knock to put the whole thing out of alignment and end up with a rubbing voice-coil, and quite a few had to be replaced under warranty. I think Audax subsequently produced a similar unit with a cast alloy basket that was used in the short-lived and rather unloved HB2R, but there never was anything similar after that. Still, at least they didn't have foam surrounds to rot away so the ones that survived undamaged will be as good now as they ever were.
    Thanks, it's posts like this which flesh out the history of the speakers. I wonder if this is what happened to this pair? I'm now wondering if it might be worth while trying to source an original pair of bass units?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Shane.

Best of luck! Definitely worthwhile though. Heybrook themselves in their later AGI days offered a paper-coned bass unit as a replacement, but I think it was chosen solely on the fact that it fitted the same hole! I fitted a pair for a friend and whilst they sounded superficially more lively, they lost that beautiful airy cohesion and spaciousness that made the HB2 so special.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast