+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Sound Audio discrete Op-amp upgrade

I'm Martin.

Hi Charles, are you able to give any circuit diagram advice ?
    I fitted a V5 op amp to an integrated amp last year (after reducing the rail voltages to +/- 15v)
    I've just picked up an old rotel pre , with the hope of trying the V6's, there are three opamps inside (one in the tone circuit) but I'm not sure if only one, or both of the others are worth changing ?
    Thanks mart

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Metlor View Post
    Hi Charles, are you able to give any circuit diagram advice ?
    I fitted a V5 op amp to an integrated amp last year (after reducing the rail voltages to +/- 15v)
    I've just picked up an old rotel pre , with the hope of trying the V6's, there are three opamps inside (one in the tone circuit) but I'm not sure if only one, or both of the others are worth changing ?
    Thanks mart
    I found v5 ran too hot when at +/-15vdc, that is the absolute max on the spec. Much happier at +/-13vdc. If I remember correctly, they ran 30deg C at +/-13 and 50degC at +/-15. That was in a case with the lid off out in the open. In a closed box between two shelves they would probably be higher still. The v6 have vents at the top so run cooler.

I'm Martin.

I ran the V5 at 18v for a coupl of hours before I read the spec sheet, I thought it sounded pretty good :-).

The 'new' pre is a rotel rc 972, I think the rails are 14v,
    one opamp runs the eq, but im not sure if both the others are in the signal path ?

I'm Ken.

Anyone got a pair of the dual channel V6 Vivid they are not using and want to swap for a pair of dual channel V6 Classic?

I am building a new active crossover circuit that requires 7 dual channel modules and I want to run all four of the filter elements as V6 Vivid. I already have two, so looking to acquire another pair of Vivid's.

I'm Charles.

Guys, been quiet for some time but i'm back. For those interested in the op-amp, please send me a PM.

@Metlor, i could speak with our tech guys about your project. Please send me more details.

I'm Patrick.

Charles replied via PM to me, but I got impatient before he had a chance and ordered a V6 Vivid in the meantime. Unfortunately Burson was out of stock at the time, but I finally got it last weekend. I have only had a couple of hours but it is definately a big improvement over stock. I need to give it some time to break in before I make any real comments, but I will say that it made a really big difference in tightening up the bottom end and everything seem more accurate already. I already feel it was worth the price paid, and I am looking forward to it getting even better.

Here are a few pic I took of the install

Stock IC replaced. This thing is pretty tall. The cover definately was not going to close over this.

After some careful measuring I marked the center point of where it should end up poking thru. I stepped up drills from 1/8th inch (~3mm) to 1/2 inch (~12-13mm) then broke out my file set and carefully widened the hole it out and squared it up nice. After about 20 min of careful filework I test fit and got it in one.

The v6 vivid stuck out a tad longer than the feet. I placed some washers under and just had enough threads left to screw the feet in.

Quote Originally Posted by unnerv View Post
    Hi Charles,

I had come across this while trying to find a good comparison of the v6 classic vs vivid. I just recently acquired a pair of hifiman he-4xx phones and have them paired with a little dot 1+. I have started tube rolling and currently have upgraded the stock tubes to Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV with some Mullard 8100 on the way to try next. I am pretty new to this game but researching opamp rolling on the littledot 1+ seems to be another step in the adventure. If you have any recommendation as to which would compliment the setup best I would welcome your opinion. I think the tubes give some warmth and texture, so I was leaning towards the vivid. There were some older reviews of the Littledot 1+ with the V5, and while it didn't fit with the cover closed, it sounded like it was an amazing upgrade over stock. I am not opposed to milling out the aluminum case to fit taller opamps.

It looks like the stock opamp is an MC33078N

Little Dot exposed

Gratuitous glow shot

I'm Charles.

Message sent @Unnerv
    A comparison would be great.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by SS-Audio View Post
    Message sent @Unnerv
    A comparison would be great.
    I am still pretty new to the hifi audio thing so sorry in advance for poor audio vocabulary. I have to say I am impressed with the difference the v6 vivid made over stock as I had read that opamps typically make much less difference than the tube rolling.

My gear:
    Source is Chromecast Audio or Schitt Fulla as a DAC, bypassing the amp.
    The amp is a Little Dot 1+ with RTC 5456 tubes. These are supposedly Mullard 8100 that were built for the french military.
    Headphones are primarily the Hifiman HE560. I also have the Hifiman HE4xx but I mostly use those with my computer.

Some comments on the stock setup:

Bass was decent, highs were a little on the bright side, which is typical of HE560 from what I have read. With the stock opamp it was a little noise that could be heard in between tracks or in very quiet parts of certain songs. Even with no source you could hear it at zero volume, again not enough to be bothersome unless your room was totatally silent but it was always there an got louder as the volume went up. This was one of the things I was hoping the v6 vivid was going to help with and I was not disappointed.

I have about 20 hours on the Burson v6 vivid now. No doubt it could probably benefit from some more run time, but overall I am impressed. The noise that was present even when at zero volume disappeared. I don't start hearing anything until past the 12 o'oclock position (9 to 10 o'clock is my normal listening position.)

Bass: while the base was pretty good before, it is now much more solid sounding and smoother in the transition to the mids.

Highs: where the highs could be a little harsh on the stock setup and the HE560, the v6 tamed it well. It was still bright but no longer harsh. It is more detailed sounding than before.

I was a little worried that there might be some heat problems since the little dot gets pretty warm on the inside and the opamp socket points downward. My longest listening session has been 4+ hours and no problems so far. I think that the vented end of the v6's casing sitting outside the amp body might help, but again everything sounds good from hour 0 to 4 once the tubes have warmed up.

The little dot 1+ with the Burson v6 vivid is my favorite amp I have listened to with the HE560 by far, including my Magni 3, my brothers Vali 2 and a borrowed Woo Audio W7 with tubed powersupply, which surprised me. My hats off to Burson and Little dot.

I'm Ken.

Love your case mod, with the V6 sticking out the bottom.

I'm Kevin.

Charles,

Your inbox is full.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast