+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Sound Audio discrete Op-amp upgrade

I'm Sean.

Indeed, V5i are £39, versus the V5 at about £65. Lots of reviews on Head-fi;
    http://www.head-fi.org/products/burs...mp-v5i/reviews

I see Profusion Plc are another U.K. seller.
    Sean.

I'm Charles.

Hey guys,

I know it's been a while but, we are willing to send more V5 and V5i (newer model) to anyone who post here. Just let us know what audio equipment you want to mod and how many units.

Cheers

I'm Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by SS-Audio View Post
    Hey guys,

I know it's been a while but, we are willing to send more V5 and V5i (newer model) to anyone who post here. Just let us know what audio equipment you want to mod and how many units.

Cheers
    PM sent! Another Najda DSP owner gave the below comment, which is the benefit I am hoping to get from these V5 units.

"I've just ordered 3 paris of dual Burson Op-amps for my Najda DSP. These are a plug and play upgrade and are reported to be a great upgrade. Bigger bang for buck than linear PSU and much bigger than DAC changing.
    Will cover analogue input and output stages"
    Sean.

I'm Ken.

Results are always application specific, and can never be deemed universal.
    In my case, using the KMTech analogue crossover boards and after much experimenting, I found the best combination was to use a Sparko's discrete for the input buffer and Burson V5 discrete in the crossover filters. This gave the most natural sound reproduction in my opinion and was slightly better than using the Burson V5 throughout, regarding timber with piano and texture in vocals for instance. This of course was with my choice of amplification and drivers. YMMV.

I am very pleased with this combination.

I'm Sean.

Received three Burson duals last week as part of the test offer, and after positive initial impressions I have given them some hours of play every day since and I am more excited about what they do for my system, which is as follows:
    Najda DSP preamp
    Nao Note II speakers with dual Alpha15a drivers for the bottom end.
    Anaview ALC0180 and AMS0100 on each side
    Mini Pc running Linux based WTFPlayer into Amanero USB port on Najda preamp
    IMG_0803.jpgIMG_0804.jpgIMG_0805.jpg

I have the Bursons on one and a half speakers at the moment, since I was sent three initially with the rest to follow, which is not enough for this four way active system. However, the impact on my particular system is huge. LM833N are the stock opamps in the Najda which are supposed to work very well, though my system seems to need more, as I will detail below.

Test track - Straight Through Boogaloo from Lyn s Une
    The first test I went for was turning amps on cold, playing a track which at -10db is loud and I have to turn down towards the end because the congestion of drums and other instruments going full whack becomes annoying, more noise like. Switch in the three Bursons and play again - immediately I am thinking the volume has gone up, yet the setting is still -10db. Secondly, the drums are sounding more real. But the biggest moment for me is I do not have to turn the volume down as usual at the end, since rather than annoying me at the end, I am now enjoying the crescendo at the end of the track

So initially, it is like the volume level is gone up, which I am thinking is dynamics. Big moments in the music have become enjoyable, rather than collapsing. Further listening yesterday says I am hearing much greater realism in my music, where before I was not really convinced and hence my system was getting a lot of movie time rather than music time. That should change now.

Anaviews lack an input buffer, and my Najda are run SE output at 3V, so I am wondering if the Bursons are adding much needed strength to the signal. This is a guess based on my reading about the Anaviews.

I will add more later as it arises. Thank you to Burson for the opportunity to try these!
    Last edited by Ikemen; 18-06-2017 at 18:27.
    Sean.

I'm Stephen.

Firstly, my thanks to Charles for offering a couple of V5i devices to try, and apologies for not responding sooner.

The devices were tried out in the output stage of a Technics SL-P1200 CD, initially replacing the 5532s, and later the 5238s.

Have to say, I was a tad disappointed. With the better slew rate, I was looking for better dynamics and attack. Didn't present itself, however. There did appear to be a better flow to everything, and the LF part of the spectrum had a fuller sound. At the cost of this, however, was a certain loss of clarity, sense of precision and dynamic. Previously, I have tried the LM4562 which offered better upper bass snap and attack, but again, there was a price to pay in a loss of bass texture and extension. A metal can type LME49720 had also been tried. This had everything sounding really boring, and didn't last long. So, it seemed like the original 5532 was best suited.

Next up was replacing the 5328s. Here the difference was more marked: a much greater sense of space was evident, but there was a problem with noise and they seemed to be getting pretty hot. So I reverted back to the originals.

That was last Saturday. A short time ago I had another try replacing the 5532s. This time I was struck at how "musical" the strands of a mix sounded and how the upper bass had more body. On balance, I'd now forego the the clarity and precision with the 5532s and use the V5is.

Thanks again to Charles for the opportunity to try the V5i.

Do you want them back!?!

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    Firstly, my thanks to Charles for offering a couple of V5i devices to try, and apologies for not responding sooner.

The devices were tried out in the output stage of a Technics SL-P1200 CD, initially replacing the 5532s, and later the 5238s.

Have to say, I was a tad disappointed. With the better slew rate, I was looking for better dynamics and attack. Didn't present itself, however. There did appear to be a better flow to everything, and the LF part of the spectrum had a fuller sound. At the cost of this, however, was a certain loss of clarity, sense of precision and dynamic. Previously, I have tried the LM4562 which offered better upper bass snap and attack, but again, there was a price to pay in a loss of bass texture and extension. A metal can type LME49720 had also been tried. This had everything sounding really boring, and didn't last long. So, it seemed like the original 5532 was best suited.

Next up was replacing the 5328s. Here the difference was more marked: a much greater sense of space was evident, but there was a problem with noise and they seemed to be getting pretty hot. So I reverted back to the originals.

That was last Saturday. A short time ago I had another try replacing the 5532s. This time I was struck at how "musical" the strands of a mix sounded and how the upper bass had more body. On balance, I'd now forego the the clarity and precision with the 5532s and use the V5is.

Thanks again to Charles for the opportunity to try the V5i.

Do you want them back!?!

Any amplifier suitable for audio has a response speed vastly faster than you're ears could possibly interpret as "speed" "fast transients" etc. When an amp sounds "fast" etc it has zero to do with the amps actual slew rate etc
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Stephen.

Fair enough.

Today when I listened, I was wondering if the sense of musicality was related to the greater slew rate.

I'm Charles.

Guys,

In case you haven't noticed, we have released our newest creation: The v6 vivid and classic.

Let me know if you want to test this new version on your own gear.

I'm Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by SS-Audio View Post
    Guys,

In case you haven't noticed, we have released our newest creation: The v6 vivid and classic.

Let me know if you want to test this new version on your own gear.

Hi SS-Audio Team, I would be very interested in testing the new v6 vivid and classic opamp in my Najda boxed DSP. I would be happy to receive 6 samples shipped to Germany.
    Of course I would post a detailed review about my experience here in the forum.

Please send me a message, where I could send you my shipping address.

Best, Airharder

Best

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast