+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What system for my Spanish Shack.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    An even stronger case for the Uniti in this application - if it has analogue or even digital pre outs, then ADM9's could still be considered with it...
    Analogue Pre-Out (Din, of course!) - 2 sub outs (RCA). No digital output.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Hi Chaps

Can anyone explain in baby language just what the uniti is and what it does.

Many thanks

Mick

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Think of it as an all-in one - Integrated Amp with built in CD Player and FM/DAB Tuner, with 5 Analogue inputs. Then, it also attaches to your home network (wirelessly, if you have wi-fi) to pick up streamed audio - either ripped/downloaded tracks from a computer, or internet radio. Finally, it also includes a built in DAC, so you can connect other devices digitally (DVD players, Sky box, games consoles etc.)

Everything you need for a digital system except speakers - and plenty of expansion if you want to add further sources at a later date.

Does that help?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Think of it as an all-in one - Integrated Amp with built in CD Player and FM/DAB Tuner, with 5 Analogue inputs. Then, it also attaches to your home network (wirelessly, if you have wi-fi) to pick up streamed audio - either ripped/downloaded tracks from a computer, or internet radio. Finally, it also includes a built in DAC, so you can connect other devices digitally (DVD players, Sky box, games consoles etc.)

Everything you need for a digital system except speakers - and plenty of expansion if you want to add further sources at a later date.

Does that help?
    Mick, it's all of that with a Nait bolted on for good measure. It almost seems like Naim heard you were about to bunk off to Spain so gave the matter some urgent attention and came up with the perfect solution, just for you. The least you can do in return is book a demo, believe me you will be more than favourably impressed.

I'm Nobody.

It's actually a cheap stereo wil an not so cheap price tag.. Seriously.

Andre

Naim really put the effort into their products and I have yet to hear anything from their range that sounds cheap. My 32.5 must be hitting 25 yrs and it still sounds good. If it come from Naim, you can be certain, if nothing else, it sounds good. REM confirmed that it sounded good at a hifi show, so the proof of the pudding is there.

The only bad Naim I have heard are things that have been hacked about by bodgers.

Chaps

I must admit the Uniti could well be the answer and I shall certainly look into it, so thanks for the advice. Many thanks to Alex for his initial suggestion.

Regards

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Whereabouts in Spain are you gonna be ? If, by any chance you´re coming out here to the Canaries, bring it all with you. On mainland Spain things are better but even so, even bad dealers are a bit thin on the ground. In my experience most seem to be speakers first, the bigger and more expensive the better (Wilsons at your local Corte Ingles department store,(or Avid, Martens and Boulder audio anyone ?) and bugger the source. Of course, there are some honourable exceptions - e.g. Adam at Eden Audio in Fuengirola. Check out his web page and forum to get an idea.
    Chris

My shack is in a little village not far from Mojocar in the province of Almeria.

The problem with Spain is that 99% of the stuff sold is cheap tat and that applies across the board. The average income in spain is way below that in the UK and hence they tend to be unable to afford the quality that is normal here. A great number of ex pats actually buy stuff in the UK and then deliver it to their places in Spain. Hifi can be purchased in the UK and taken over either by courier or in a car. I will be buying a LHD car next year and will drive it to Spain because cars in Spain cost more.

I don't think most Brits realise how well off they are compared to other countries.

Regards

Mick

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post

Does that help?
    Alex, Methinks you've been "indoctrinated" by Signals' just down the road...

Andre - Don't bother to criticise Naim in front of Mick as we've all seen the fallout before on other sites and it ain't a pleasant thing to see

I just wish for two things regarding Mick - the first is to at least visit AVI and hear the ADM9.1's for himself (I'm sure they're not at all bad, all things [size] being considered). The second is to hear some decent Tannoys to replace those tired old 'briks with. Passive 'briks are horrendously uneven in performance and so easily outclassed by their active option I'm surprised they carried on so... Thinking "active" gives me an idea for a new thread...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Dave:
    I'm not intrested in arguing about one the most overrated british audio company of all time, i certainly won't react to it.

Chaps

I am begining to think my best option is to buy a Naim Uniti and ship my SBLs from my dining room system over to Spain. I presume that the Uniti is capable of driving SBLs.

I could then move my Briks to the dining room and get some big 15"ers such as a Tannoys or DBLs for my main system.

If anyone has a better idea, I am all ears.

I have to say the advice on this forum is excellent.

Regards and impressed

Mick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast