+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best battery or PSU for Caiman mk2 (that is available to buy)

I'm Grant.

Think you have to consider the cost too A really good linear is going to be expensive, whereas a battery and charger is cheap in relative terms, and even if its not quite as good, are 95% of us going to really notice it that much. I might add I dont use battery stuff but I would do if it suited rather than cough up for a hugely expensive alternative that is 5% better; but I'm a cheapskate
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Greg.

I've compared both battery and linear PSU on my Caiman II and Capella (when I had it) and I now will only use the linear PSU. The battery sounds fine when fully charged but seems to lose dynamics when the charge drops slightly despite apparently giving out the same voltage as when charged. The sound softens with battery whilst it is constantly acute with the PSU. Get a good quality linear PSU (I use a 'Lurcher' or 'Longdog Audio' aka Nick Gorham one) and consider it as just another upgrade.

I know use my Anker battery for for what it was designed for......recharging my iPhone and iPad when on holiday

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotlake View Post
    I've compared both battery and linear PSU on my Caiman II and Capella (when I had it) and I now will only use the linear PSU. The battery sounds fine when fully charged but seems to lose dynamics when the charge drops slightly despite apparently giving out the same voltage as when charged. The sound softens with battery whilst it is constantly acute with the PSU. Get a good quality linear PSU (I use a 'Lurcher' or 'Longdog Audio' aka Nick Gorham one) and consider it as just another upgrade.

I know use my Anker battery for for what it was designed for......recharging my iPhone and iPad when on holiday
    Obviously not a big enough battery! I'm sure a 47Ah car battery won't be loosing anything for a long while driving a 50mW Dac.

I'm Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Advent View Post
    Obviously not a big enough battery! I'm sure a 47Ah car battery won't be loosing anything for a long while driving a 50mW Dac.
    If you like. Personally, I don't want a car battery in my living room! I won't qualify further what I have said. Only one way to find out......

I'm Krasimir.

Will the Anker 20,000mAh be good for both the Caiman and the Capella? I have the Capella and not the Caiman. Yet.
    Sources: Advance Acoustic MCD-403 & MDA-503, Pure Sound A-8000, HDD + old notebook + M2Tech Evo Power Supply + M2Tech Evo Clock High End Word-Clock-Generator + M2Tech HiFace Evo 24Bit/192kHz USB-Interface

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by Jankoff View Post
    Will the Anker 20,000mAh be good for both the Caiman and the Capella? I have the Capella and not the Caiman. Yet.
    Yes it will, i'm using the latest Anker with my Caiman MK2 and Capella.
    All Those Who Believe In Psychokinesis Raise MY Hand........

Audio kit.........Desktop PC>TOSlink Lead>Caiman MK2>Capella. Sennheiser HD-700 Headphones......(VERY nice!)

I'm George.

Brings me back to a thread i posted earlier, Anker 20000 or one of these?......CLICK

Not much between them in price but what about audible difference?
    All Those Who Believe In Psychokinesis Raise MY Hand........

Audio kit.........Desktop PC>TOSlink Lead>Caiman MK2>Capella. Sennheiser HD-700 Headphones......(VERY nice!)

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by Old George View Post
    Brings me back to a thread i posted earlier, Anker 20000 or one of these?......CLICK

Not much between them in price but what about audible difference?
    I own both, and I NEVER use the battery any more. Not sure I hear much of a difference, but the PSU is so much less bother. In fact I now have 3 or 4 of these PSUs, that I use to power various bits of kit including a Caiman II, a Stereo Coffee LDR pre amp, and a pi/iQaudiO DAC.

I'm Krasimir.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    I own both, and I NEVER use the battery any more. Not sure I hear much of a difference, but the PSU is so much less bother. In fact I now have 3 or 4 of these PSUs, that I use to power various bits of kit including a Caiman II, a Stereo Coffee LDR pre amp, and a pi/iQaudiO DAC.
    Thank you for your suggestions, Old George and Desmo! PSU is less of a hassle - and both options for not much money indeed. I paid €350 for the HiFace Evo Power Supply (with batteries), it used to cost €400. I never learned how to flip which switch to get it to work as battery or from the mains. But it works well - both ways. Today for the new Evo Power Supply they charge you €500, and even €600 for the new clock generator and the USB interface (each - €400 previously). Yes, the Evo One rocks! And surely the Evo Two will too. But if one can get a good PSU for a good DAC for £39, that's a Christmas gift.
    A question that bothers me lately: will the Caiman, when properly powered, be equally convincing as a standard DAC, fed from a CD player, and as a DAC fed from the PC, having in mind, first, that the USB interface is not asynchronous and that, second, there are motherboards with specially powered USB outputs? (I have one.) I already asked this question in another thread but Stan was reluctant to answer. Of course, I understand and respect his position.
    I ask this question on the basis of my only USB audio experience so far - which is with the HiFace Evo setup. On its own the HiFace Evo is very very good but not outstanding. With the clock generator and the power supply it is magic. On the other hand, I have large experience with DACs, I own four (including a €1000 valve one, upgraded with good valves) and I have always been a fan of separate DACs. Judging from the the HiFace Evo setup where improvement was brought about by adding each separate component, I tend to believe that the same will be valid if the Caiman - taking for granted it is a great DAC, is paired with a good USB interface, well fed electrically and well cabled. So, let me repeat the question: do you think the Caiman can improve sound-wise as a DAC with a PC source if its USB interface is improved? I might be able to answer this question myself if I had the Caiman but I don't for now. I ordered the Asynch-1 and am looking forward to receiving and testing it.
    Sorry for my troublesome questions! Happy holidays!
    Sources: Advance Acoustic MCD-403 & MDA-503, Pure Sound A-8000, HDD + old notebook + M2Tech Evo Power Supply + M2Tech Evo Clock High End Word-Clock-Generator + M2Tech HiFace Evo 24Bit/192kHz USB-Interface

Quote Originally Posted by Jankoff View Post
    A question that bothers me lately: will the Caiman, when properly powered, be equally convincing as a standard DAC, fed from a CD player, and as a DAC fed from the PC, having in mind, first, that the USB interface is not asynchronous and that, second, there are motherboards with specially powered USB outputs? (I have one.) I already asked this question in another thread but Stan was reluctant to answer. Of course, I understand and respect his position.
    I can't answer an impossible question. For one, it won't make a bit of difference if you had a specially powered USB output from your PC into the Caiman. The Caiman USB is not externally powered so you would be wasting your time trying to use a powered USB connection. There just isn't any power supply pin on the USB socket in the Caiman.
    As for the interface and asynch: if you can produce measurements that can provide evidence that the an asynch USB DAC would be better than the Caiman USB circuit I shall offer you a full refund. Asynch is not the holy grail or anywhere as good as those pushing it would make it out to be. It is all smoke and mirror technical write ups that are full of assumptions. The Caiman uses the audio signal clock reference for decoding, which makes it as bit accurate as one could get. Asynch doesn't even come close to that kind of accuracy.
    But if you must have asynch then look at something else.
    And that is all I am going to say about asynch and the Caiman USB. I am fed up to the teeth with folks who worship asynch as a deity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast