+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Two Different Worlds

Andre

I have a Garrard 401 and the main thing with any Garrard is to mount it in a decent plinth. Mine is in a traditional looking Loricraft plinth but there are several good alternative makes out there. But please make sure you have a decent plinth.

As regards to the actual vinyl, have you tried buying from Tony over on PFM. He knows his stuff and is genuinely honest in describing the condition of what he sells. I recently purchased a LP from him of George Melly which was pristine and had no trace of snap crackle or pop.

Regards

Mick

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Parry View Post
    Andre

I have a Garrard 401 and the main thing with any Garrard is to mount it in a decent plinth. Mine is in a traditional looking Loricraft plinth but there are several good alternative makes out there. But please make sure you have a decent plinth.

As regards to the actual vinyl, have you tried buying from Tony over on PFM. He knows his stuff and is genuinely honest in describing the condition of what he sells. I recently purchased a LP from him of George Melly which was pristine and had no trace of snap crackle or pop.

Regards

Mick
    Yes Plinth is important, i originally had one of Terrys first Loricraft plinths, but switched to my own, i used to make bespoke Plinths for Garrards,Lenco & Thorens, used to advertise in Hi-Fi World at one bit.

Regarding bad pressing, what i was trying to say is some of the original 1st issue pressings were of poor quality.Don't get me wrong all my Records were A1 mint condition, never bought marked or worn records..

You have bad recordings in both Cd and Vinyl.

I got some UK pressings of Tangerine Dream yesterday for next to nothing, washed them and put one on to play, there was some very mild background noise in the quietest parts and the odd click and pop between tracks.

That doesn't worry me at all, to me it's all part of the vinyl experience

The recording though was first class.

Like they say on that commercial:

Some old records = $8.00

Washing them = 50 cents

Relaxing and listening to them = priceless.
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
    You have bad recordings in both Cd and Vinyl.

I got some UK pressings of Tangerine Dream yesterday for next to nothing, washed them and put one on to play, there was some very mild background noise in the quietest parts and the odd click and pop between tracks.

That doesn't worry me at all, to me it's all part of the vinyl experience

The recording though was first class.

Like they say on that commercial:

Some old records = $8.00

Washing them = 50 cents

Relaxing and listening to them = priceless.
    The ones i had the bad pressing problems with on vinyl i now have on CD remastered from the original tapes, they are like night & day, clear evidence that the Vinyl record pressing was poor not the recording...We have a great record company going at the moment called Esoteric records, they are doing a superb job at remastering obscure Prog albums, small scale at the moment but what they presently have in the catalogue is a great feat for the short period they have been active under the prent name..If i can i always buy Japanese issued CD's tho, they are so much better.

If God wanted us to go digital why did he give us analogue ears?
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

I disagree on the TVC. Active preamps are always a more involving listen.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    I disagree on the TVC. Active preamps are always a more involving listen.
    That's a rather sweeping statement. Have you heard every example of a TVC amplifier?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234