+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY valve tester.

I'm Richard.

Default DIY valve tester.

I have a load of old valves, mainly ECC82, 83, 88s, and EL34s and EL84s. Some are quality (Mullard 8137 and 8136), some are not, but I have no idea of their condition.
    So I googled "DIY valve tester" and eventually came up with this - http://www.valveheaven.com/2015/03/a...vetube-tester/
    It looks simple enough even for me, and I have transformers, HT caps, resistors, valve sockets and casework, so it won't cost much to build. I have ordered the switches and meters, so when they arrive (from China; could be January!) I can give it a go.
    But before I start, does anyone have any views or advice on the circuit, or implementation? At the moment I plan to follow his plans, allowing for the need to use 2 transformers and older combined caps (470uF/400v + 800uF/250v common neg in a single can).
    So any thoughts from anyone who actually knows what they are doing would be welcome.
    ABD.

I'm Alan.

Looks good to me Richard, build it as shown.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Richard.

Thanks Alan, it looks simple enough even for me. As long as I connect everything this time.
    I put a couple of unmatched Mullards in the Velleman, and although they worked, I have no idea if they match. So at least I could test that, even if the tester has no ultimate accuracy.
    ABD.

I'm Phil.

I was looking at building this one , but then managed to drop on these testers for the right money they all work but each has a few probs me phil.

http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/fo....php?aid=13311
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanobsession View Post
    I was looking at building this one , but then managed to drop on these testers for the right money they all work but each has a few probs me phil.
    Cool. But the thumbnail won't enlarge.
    ABD.

I'm Phil.

Sorry dick , have put a link now , if your only interested in testing the common valves this diy tester seems great and gives you some idea of a valves quality , I was very interested in this , the dc voltages are very dangerous but I'm sure you know that , the avo testers are 2 mk2 and a mk1 , they are great things but require work , I shall keep them for a retirement challenge , they all seem to test valves ok but there are problems with rectifier valves which put a specified current to the valve i.e 6x5 valve is 30 ma
    the current is dropped via resisters , the old bobbin type , but ive managed to test el84 ecc 83 82 81 ecc88 5687 with no problems . I love these old things they were
    made to last . me phil.
    Phil.

I'm Alan.

Coo those look rather wonderful Phil.

Would you like some assistance with the repairs?

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Richard.

Never mind the valve testers, I want the lathe!
    ABD.

I'm Phil.

Thanks for the offer of assistance but I think ive got my head around how these things work ,
    Last edited by oceanobsession; 11-12-2015 at 18:11.
    Phil.

I'm Richard.

Oi! Get your own thread!
    ABD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast