+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audio Technica ATH-M50x - Anyone using them?

I'm Rich.

Default Audio Technica ATH-M50x - Anyone using them?

Mrs B asked what I wanted fancied for my Christmas pressie and after a bit of reading up decided I might give these a try.

They seem to be universally well reviewed and liked. Wondering if anyone on here has any experience of them.

They look more substantial than my long serving travelling companions the AKG k450, which for the 50quid I paid for them years ago, have been probably the best money I ever spent on anything hifi. My current job sees me travelling the length and breadth of the country on trains and sometimes away from home a couple of nights a week. I'm hoping the audio technicas will be a significant upgrade for music on the go with my Sony Xperia z3 as a source.

Also hoping they'll partner nicely with my Benchmark DAC1 HDR for sweet late night sounds.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Rich.

Anybody?

If it's just me I guess I'll have to write a review.

I'm Paul.

I found them a bit too bass heavy, too much bloom and boom. It may depend on what you are using to drive them, but I couldn't get on with them.

I'm Phil.

Hi,

I use the ATH-M30x ones, never had a 'good' pair of headphones before and treat myself to these last Christmas, really pleased with them.

I think they sound really good, though didn't suss until after I got them, that they are tuned for the midrange, offering a kind of monitor sound. Haven't noticed a problem with this, everything I listen to sounds spot on. I like the fact they have a 3mtr cable (I wanted a 'long' cable), they have a real good quality jack converter thingy, it screws on really solid. They come with a nice quality draw string pouch, fold in on themselves and generally feel well built. They are comfy and shut in/out the sound really well.

I think they're spot on for the money.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Phil.

I'm Rich.

Well I'm pleased to report a pair of these turned up at Christmas from my wife and I'm really pleased with them. since returning to work these have been getting broken in for the last few days.

Yes they have a monitor type sound but with a really deep warm sounding bass. They're nicely detailed and you get a very good sense of scale with them. Totally different from the enormity of an open backed headphone but I don't really get on with them.

For they money and quality of sound you get they're a bargain. I can see me being very happy with these for a good while.

R

I'm Rich.

Would also add that with the decent isolation these give I seem to listening at lower volume levels which must be a good thing. I don't feel the need to blast these for impact unlike my AKGs.

I'm Grant.

It will make a difference to your long term hearing Rich... I had a set of AT cans a!d they were very good indeed and ousted my sennys.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread