Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike New ETP Platter

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    I know you won't follow this Marco, but can I share some good advice - the best - I was given over on TAS

The advice came from Singularity, who used to post as "Andrew" on HFS.

"Stop looking there. When I did so, I started to enjoy HiFi again. The constant negativity sucks all the joy out of you" or something to that effect. At the time I was monitoring Cagey's return to the forum, but I have been so much happier since returning to being completely oblivious to its existence.

Lol... I completely agree, Richard. It's nothing but a midden full of life's malcontented losers and underachievers...

However, *occasionally* things written there (even if in reality are only being read by a handful of nutters, and those getting their daily dose of comedy, along the lines of 'let's all laugh at the loons', count me in) need challenging and correcting, especially when it involves protecting someone's hard-earned good name, like Mike's.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

They make me laugh. and I think I am one post away from a permanent ban.
    I have been banned for a week after "repetitive" posting, which is what EOTW seems to be, a kind of biased moderation if you will.
    I also got a warning for not respecting an admin decision after posting a smiley after a retort similar to the original comment was moderated. Well, they may as well ban me now as there is no way I will ever respect one of the admins over there.

As for the comment about rough handling damaging the ETP platter in transit, if the box is unmarked, then I would suggest that the issue is elsewhere and likely to be caused by the stresses of machining.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    They make me laugh. and I think I am one post away from a permanent ban.
    I have been banned for a week after "repetitive" posting, which is what EOTW seems to be, a kind of biased moderation if you will.
    I also got a warning for not respecting an admin decision after posting a smiley after a retort similar to the original comment was moderated. Well, they may as well ban me now as there is no way I will ever respect one of the admins over there.

As for the comment about rough handling damaging the ETP platter in transit, if the box is unmarked, then I would suggest that the issue is elsewhere and likely to be caused by the stresses of machining.
    And I take it from Marco's posts there have been complaints of censorship here - on the back of the "removed" thread - explanations given and accepted. That is a bit rich considering the amount of razor-blading of our posts the muppet scientist carried out, under the guise of spurious "ad-hominum" or more usually "unwarranted attack on NVA" - when in fact they were only pointing out the limitations of his understanding of how electrickery works.

Enough, my very last words ever on the subject (although I am aware what happens to people who make statements like that)

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Couldn't agree more.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Darren,

Personally, I doubt it needs doing, but perhaps just to be on the safe side, it might be a good idea. We need Mike to comment properly on this, but regardless, as Rob has confirmed, any minuscule 'wobble' on the ETP (for whatever reason) isn't anything like serious enough to affect its sonic performance.

Jeez, a lot of brand new records these days are 'warped' to a far, far greater degree, and played on on supposedly flat, 'non-wobbly platters' of various descriptions, apparently without any negative impact on sound quality, so think about that...!!

Marco.
    Doesn't Rob also use a Ortofon 2M Black,which is supposed to be very critical in set up? If so and he has not (subjectively) noticed ill effects,then i wouldn't be unduly worried!

Yes i have a few warped records and they play fine! Still,a flat platter would be preferable to a non-flat one! We will see in the new year if i bite the bullet or not.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    As Macca and I covered, if you get your paperwork right, VAT and duty will only be payable on the "added value". So if you ship out a bearing valued at £400 and a platter at £600 or whatever they cost, and you bring back the same (or warranty repair replacements) you would only pay duty on the value of any service work charged.

That hasn't come out as clear as I would have liked - "No - you won't pay duty twice if you get the paperwork right"
    Ahh i see,thanks for the clarification.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    Doesn't Rob also use a Ortofon 2M Black,which is supposed to be very critical in set up? If so and he has not (subjectively) noticed ill effects,then i wouldn't be unduly worried!

Yes i have a few warped records and they play fine! Still,a flat platter would be preferable to a non-flat one! We will see in the new year if i bite the bullet or not.
    The Black is a PITA to set up in my experience but an absolute beaut in my system when set up properly. Of course in an ideal world and for those reasons I'd prefer any platter to spin perfectly level on full rotation. Records with warps bug the hell out of me let alone.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepy-Shyster Cawley
    I now believe Marco's wobbled all along too, and still does, why otherwise would he say this ?
    Are you as thick, pigheaded and unable to read what's in front of you, as Richard Dunn? Because, you dim old fart, I'm referring to RobbieGong's slight 'wobbling' platter, not mine!

Have you asked Martin T yet, if his ETP platter 'wobbles'? No, because you know what he'll tell you!!

Right, enough of this nonsense for the moment, a rather fine bottle of Haut-Médoc awaits, along with some roast quail. Laters....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    We await Mike's response to this.

My suspicion is that it the issue is more to do with sample variances in the spindle taper of the partnering MN bearing, the 'worst' of which (considering that we're talking about a margin that is minute), don't allow ETP platters to 'seat' themselves properly flush onto the bearing, thus causing a dip/wobble when the platter is spinning.

*If* that is the case, then the only way to 100% test for that would be to insist that bearings and platters, sent to customers, are matched up and tested together before being shipped. Or if someone already has an MN bearing, and wants an ETP platter, that they are asked to send their bearing to Mike, in order to match it up with the specific platter that they'll be sent.

Marco.
    Just having a skim through in the peace before the footie. (We have had a 2nd viewing from the lovely couple who intend buying our house, and feeling a bit more confident about the February move now - and that viewing has been keeping me busy today_)

I'm not sure this explanation of yours Marco, works - and indeed feel it may cause more problems than its intended to solve. A "custom fit" requirement effectively makes it a combination product at a much higher commitment price than if both products work perfectly happily with other bearings and platters.

But regardless of that issue, I am fairly sure the videos on the original thread showed the platter inverted, with no bearing, resting on a flat surface and rocking. If that was the case (and since the thread has gone, I can't check) then it had nothing to do with spindle taper or bearing platter matching. Still - at least that would remove the bother of needing to have matched bearings and platters

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_New View Post

Sadly you will find in this world that there are always disappointed people who were never clever enough to be first, but are always keen to cut down the tall poppies that are!!!
    I realise this comment was directed at others "in another place", and not my mate Arthur, and I empathise. I concur - innovation is easily copied. However, for the record, the first use , as far as I am aware, of a plastic platter on a record player was the Pink Triangle acrylic platter. Certainly its designer, "Mr Funk", aka "Mr Pink Triangle" aka - er, AK - held the patent for it. Others copied (before expiry of the patent) but I believe he was first to implement the idea. And I think he was the first to implement a plastic platter for a Technics SL1200 too. The patent is of course now expired, and anybody can quite legitimately make turntable platters from plastic.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast