+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reiver custom commissions photo-gallery

I'm Scott.

Default Custom cabinets for the Mark Audio Alpair 12P

First up, two bass reflex boxes I designed for the Mark Audio Alpair 12P (a driver I had a small amount of input into). The first is the prototype, with gloss black side panels, and a carbon-fibre effect wrap over the front, top, back and base to give a contemporary look. The second pair Colin built for fun, but were later snapped up, with their matching stands. They are veneered in a remarkable and very distinctive real-wood birch-burr. The photographs do not do justice to the figuring of this veneer -it really was a stunner. Both pairs were constructed in 18mm Finnish birch plywood, with doubled front baffles and rear-positioned ports.

The third cabinet is a custom Mass Loaded Transmission Line (MLTL) commissioned from us by our friend Andrew. The cabinet is again in Finnish birch plywood, with a doubled front baffle, real-oak veneer, with solid oak corner pieces, top and bass, and our usual oil finish. For anyone who isn't familiar with MLTLs, they're in essence a quarter-wave cabinet with the terminus choked down, either by a slot-vent or port tube. They look like bass reflex cabinets, but are functionally different. A bass reflex cabinet assumes standard Helmholtz resonance conditions, a uniform air-particle density in the cabinet, and no Eigenmodes / standing waves. An MLTL deliberately stretches one dimension relative to the others in order to generate and use standing waves. The crossover point between the two enclosure types can be said to occur when one dimension is stretched sufficiently for the standing waves generated to be sufficient to change the cabinet tuning away from what standard Helmholtz based alignments would predict for the given box volume and vent dimensions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Scott.

Default Unusual 2-way commission

Here is a pair of compact 2-way cabinets designed by our friend Chris for use when he went off to university. As I recall, they were using the Fostex FE126E as a mid-tweeter in its own sealed partition, with a 5 1/2in Tang Band woofer providing bass support in the rest of the volume, which was vented. Cabinet construction was 12mm Finnish birch plywood, with Santos Rosewood veneer and an oil finish. The drivers & other hardware were installed by the client.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12