+ Reply to Thread

Thread: veneer faded from sun

I'm Phil.

Default veneer faded from sun

Hi,

Has anyone any idea how to fix the discolouration that occurs when areas of wood veneers are covered from sunlight? Would i need to use sandpaper or is there any way of applying a wax/oil to even it out?

Thanks
    Phil

I'm Deleted.

In short there isn't a great deal you can do about it short of going to a great deal of trouble and even then it may not be as you wish. The simplest solution is simply to swop them over and allow them to see the sun equally. Some have tried coloured wax polishes but it depends on how critical you are and how pronounced the bleaching. Sanding the finish back is a lot of work and the wood will still be bleached - there is very little veneer thickness to sand.
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

There can be two factors at work here or a combination. The lacquer/polish may have faded or more likely the wood has faded or both. If you're a canny polisher, you may, with the right coloured lacquer, be able to bring the surface back to something like original without stripping back and rubbing down. However, it would probably be quicker and easier to carefully rub the affected panel down with fine paper and steel wool, stain it carefully with a dye of the right tone (maybe slightly lighter) applied several times until the required result is achieved and then re-lacquer. It's best being familiar with this type of restoration though. It's the sort of thing I'd take on, but it's easy to mess it up! Practising on a spare board won't hurt either.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Yup. Much depends on What finish is on it. It could be laquer or shellac and wax or oil. Could be some stain in there too and that could be water based or oil based.
    If its not bothering you too much then either keep it covered or move it. If it does then either practice refinishing or get someone to do it...it can be quite time consuming and as geoff says it is easy to make matters worse.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

Thanks all. It is a pair of speakers that i have seen on ebay. The fading is in areas where the speakers have been mounted on wall brackets, so it appears it is an absence of sun that has casused the discoloration. Either way it sounds beyond my skill level to make it worthwhile...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RS1-L...AAAOSw7FRWXDYG

Thanks
    Phil

I'm Grant.

Could be wrong but it looks like its on bottom where its been sitting on a stand. The light colour is i think the original one and the rest has darkened.. Some wood veneers and finishes can do that..cherry is one of the worst .
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

Ahh, I see. So is the lighter area likely to darken with time too? The majority of the discoloration is on the bottom but there is a little square on the top too. I don't suppose it really matters and it may mean the price remains nice and low.

I'm Phil.

Actually, I think you are right Grant. It does appear to be the bottom and a little bit up each side at the base.

I'm Grant.

and under the grill where its stayed light. It may darken a bit once exposed; only time will tell.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread