+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Croft 25RSR Linestage anyone?

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Please forgive the 'Doc' quote, but it's my current experience that the best preamp is actually none at all and adding loads of gubbins can make things slightly worse. Having said that, as you go up the Croft preamp range, the sonic effect of the preamp being there, do become more and more benign and if the thing does add anything at all, it's to draw your attention to the often wonderful and subtle things going on right in the back of the mix. In fairness though, the extra 'gubbins' in an R and RS preamp is in the power supply I think and not in the signal path.

Forgive me for being a bit of a curmudgeon, but valves changing the tone? I know they do, but that means that the warmest sounding ones in this circuit are actually very coloured and not strictly 'HiFi' in the purest sense of not adding or taking away anything from the signal going through them, as the extra supplies in Glenns better preamps make the bass far more tactile even with standard line valves. Obviously, subjective personal opinion comes in here and I sincerely apologise for saying it. I had enough sonic crap from ARC valve-based preamps, even the most revered ones of the 80's and 90's (SP8, SP10, SP11, LS15 and 25 and also the early Reference models) added a warm and rosy glow to the sources feeding them. This added colour and warmth sort-of balanced the pre sliding-bias Krell power amps, which became harsh for a year or three I remember, but neutral in the proper sense? Absolutely not!
    We forgive you...

In bold, yes... you are correct. Inside mine for example looks quite complicated but it's mainly the external PSU parts/wiring that make it look like it. The signal paths are just as short and simple as they ever were.

Never heard ARC preamps. The thing is, Glenn really knows his onions when it comes down to preamps. I thought the basic was bloody good. I also compared an S&B TVC passive with the 25 and 25R - No better or worse really, it simply came down to a different presentation.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 30-11-2015 at 16:29.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by mathewf View Post
    Thanks Dave. The 25RS is about as good a preamp as I've heard so I'd assume the RSR isn't too shabby either. Could I ask whether your customers went with the the 12BH7 or 6SL7 configuration?
    Oooops. My mistake. Blame it on age and/or the drugs.

I actually sold the 25RS LS which is a sooper, dooper line version of the 25RS. More advanced circuit, better caps, Eichmann socket and a choice of B9A or Octal valves. Absolutely superb and about as good as you can get. Price is £2800.

The 25 RSR was a one off and not as advanced as the 25RS LS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12