+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Declared Value, Two Mona Lisa's at least !

I'm Chris.

Default Declared Value, Two Mona Lisa's at least !

Hi
    This of course will need quite a bit of looking into, but it appears that
    postal authorities are unnecessarily value adding to goods, based upon nothing
    more than what the customer thinks the item is worth. Customs then add their
    charges. The end result being a lot more money we fork out, to have goods posted.

Given that postal authorities will deliver your item regardless, what is the
    sense in stipulating high amounts ? To me it has all the markings of a
    confidence trick, and we need to bring goods declared value,
    when posted, back to a level that is at least sensible.

I often throw a spanner so to speak into the works, by saying " the item
    is priceless !" adding its worth two Mona Lisa's

Does anyone else have any thoughts about this ?

Cheers / Chris

I'm Adam.

It's all very well declaring your £1000 item as being worth £1 but then you're completely stuffed when the courier breaks it and you want to make a claim...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Chris.

Yes I get your point, but I think you will find insurance is a entirely separate matter
    and I agree insurance is important to replace goods if damaged. Also insurance
    would and does require a separate signed declaration. Legally then, insurance should not
    as I see it, have to correlate directly to declared value.

As I read it declared value is entirely at our choice, and I think we should
    exercise that choice by choosing not to raise postal costs any more than
    necessary.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Grant.

And apparently my hermes will happily take the insurance premium for electronics items but wont pay out if they damage it or return the premium.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Yes I get your point, but I think you will find insurance is a entirely separate matter
    Insurance companies didn't get where they are today by doing stupid things like paying people out on their claims. You can bet your ass they look at the declared value.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Insurance companies didn't get where they are today by doing stupid things like paying people out on their claims. You can bet your ass they look at the declared value.
    UPS state: "UPS's liability for loss or damage is limited to US$100.00 on shipments with no declared value"
    I will research other carriers, and try and gain a definition of declared value vs insurance if they can be
    viewed differently, or they are now so muddled, as to be viewed the same.

I'm Martin.

The thing is, if they were taken completely independently I could ship bags of sand daily with declared values of $5K each on the grounds that the law of averages says they will eventually lose one of them and I get a $5K payout.

This sort of thing does happen on occasion although the items are rarely as completely valueless as bags of sand they are not far off.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

I have started to unravel some of the declared value problems
    that arise. If you happen to ship a lot of goods, using a third party insurer
    can apparently work very well. You start to get an idea of it here:
    https://www.lojistic.com/blog/5-dirt...alue-insurance

and here: http://www.betachon.com/engage/blog/...-coverage.html

Cheers / Chris

I'm Chris.

The links in the prior post are third party insurers, so in many ways is still not independent
    advice. What I see though is in declaring a value, you are undoing the automatic cover provided.

What I do not like is the sneaky way we ( sender/ receiver ) end up paying for something
    that is not insurance at all. I need to digress if any monetary payment is made by the sender
    in declaring value. The receiver of course pays highly if declared values are high, what a wasp's nest !

Cheers / Chris

I'm Simon.

Under declaring the value of internationally shipped goods in s crime, punishable by law if caught. Both shipper and receiver are liable. Fines are multiples of the cogs in the UK.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast