+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Digital losses?

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Perhaps we are talking at cross-purposes? Are you referring to a packet as a bit of data? I am thinking more fundamental than that, i.e. particle/wave. Your reference to billions of photons made me realise that we are talking at different scales!

By the way, no offence was taken!
    I see, perhaps we are at cross purposes then. Of course individual photons will go different routes.

But although the fibre may be carrying millions of bits per second, nevertheless each bit - each optical "high" state - comprises billions of photons, for which the average paths have been the same.

It's a bit like the old two slit diffraction experiment where you turn the laser intensity down to single photons at a time. You can never be sure where any individual photon will go, but you know what the aggregate picture will look like, averaged over billions of photons. You will always get the same pattern.

Same thing in the toslink example. Each "bit" of information coming down the fibre will be identical in terms of the smearing that has occurred. Each will be compromised of billions of photons that have all gone different routes, but on average the make up of each bit is the same.

That is why you don't get any jitter in the fibre per se.

However, to a certain extent, I am arguing over semantics. The smearing of the waveform *does* cause the receiver to induce jitter because for each packet it has to do it's best to work out when exactly the transition from 1 to 0 or 0 to 1 is supposed to have occurred... and the cheap Toslink receivers (they only cost a few cents each) do a pretty bad job of it.
    Chippy.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Chippy,

Martin - In response to Marco's post, I offer my humble apology if my tone was in any way offensive. I don't know how I could have better explained forcefully what I was trying to say without a similar form of words, but there you go.
    You could start by removing the rather patronising "probably best" remark from your post #15, as I requested earlier

{Edit: s'ok, I've done it myself to save you the bother}.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Scientists, eh! What are they like?

Indeed - they're generally full of themselves, or full of something anyway!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed - they're generally full of themselves!

Marco.
    Oi Marco! - I'm a retired scientist myself!
    Barry

Yes, but anyone with a penchant for good claret is ok in my book

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Oi Marco! - I'm a retired scientist myself!

A Gentleman scientist....

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm notAlone.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
    A.Einstein

"Incorrect fact observing is more perfidious than incorrect reasoning"
    Paul Valéry
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

"Bulls pool baffles brains"
    chrism.

"May all your ups and downs be between the sheets".

The mad Marco-Boy 2009.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123