+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat5 or Cat6?

I'm Paul.

Default Cat5 or Cat6?

Whilst I'm doing some work under my floor a have the opportunity to install some data cabling to hard wire the wifi box to the Raspberry Pi and TVs etc. What cable should I use? I won't have this opportunity again once the new flooring is down!

I'm ILOB.

Some people will say it does not matter
    I used to use a 2pc approach with Jplay and Cat 7 was the best for sound between the 2pc you can get them quite cheap I tried CAT 5 and 6 but my preference was CAT 7 I think the connection is better
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Neal.

It shouldn't make any difference, however, CAT5e is typically un shielded and is not ready for 10GbE. If you are only able to do this once then go with the latest higher grade Cat6e or 7 that offers better noise immunity and supports 10GbE.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm James.

I have heard CAT7 compared to 6 in a very revealing system and must say it does make a difference.

I'm Michael.

Get the latest standard certified implementation available. You will be grateful in say ten years from now.
    On a personal basis I would never wire my household ever again. WLan cable is dirt cheap and throughput gets better every month.
    For th sum you will have to invest in network infrastructure you can buy into the next five generations of wireless and still save money. Until then the copper installed now will be obsolete as a dead horse …
    ;-)
    Michael

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by mimoser View Post
    WLan cable is dirt cheap and throughput gets better every month.
    For th sum you will have to invest in network infrastructure you can buy into the next five generations of wireless and still save money
    Coming on for 3 decades ago someone told me that cabling for communications equipment would be obsolete in a few short years times.
    I'm still waiting
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

MartinT Guest

It's just starting now, Chris, with wi-fi taking precedence over cabling for many client machines at work. I have installed 58 wireless-n access points and counting.

Cat 5e is perfectly fine for homes.

I'm still out there putting in wiring for the WAP units
    Agreed on the Cat5e too. That's all I have between floors, and it's quite happy running gigabit network.
    Chris

I'm ILOB.

for music have a try find out for yourself
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    for music have a try find out for yourself
    What makes you think I haven't?
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast