+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to CODE Acoustics!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Code Acoustics View Post
    Ah, great stuff. They really are good bits of kit. Particularly for OB use. I made a pair of OB bass speakers using 2x15" drivers per side a few years ago and was blown away, given the system's components were very modestly priced. They seem to completely take the room out of the equation, and just sound so unforced and natural. Unfortunately, lots of homes particularly in the UK (small) find it difficult to accommodate them. Hopefully we'll get a chance to produce an OB model going forward.

What's the config of your current OB speakers?

PS I don't want to overdo the company plug, but we're talking to miniDSP at the moment about distributing their products here in the UK, which may make it a little easier than importing from HK and paying duties.
    At the moment, I have twin Eminence Alpha 15" woofers per side, crossing over at 200Hz to a visaton B200 which runs from there up. I recently added a pair of Tannoy ST100 supertweeters, which was well worthwhile. I use 4th order LR.

I bought a set of Crysler midrange compression drivers with horns from a member here, along with a good set of tweeters, plan is to build a three way OB with twin Alphas per side, eventually to be housed in 20mm acrylic - I scored a couple of sheets cheaply on Ebay which are almost exactly the same size as my current baffles. I'll build them with some cheap ply to start with, so I can play about with the crossovers and be sure they'll better what I have before I have the acrylic cut for the drivers.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Photo here before I added the super tweeters-

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Pic with super tweeters-

Hunter S Thompson

montesquieu Guest

Hi Rob,

Thanks! I just saw from you're location that you must be pretty close. If you fancy I'll give you a shout when we get our first production batch in. You would be more than welcome to come over and have a listen to our speakers. No pressure sell, I promise! As we're in this building phase it's great to get as much feedback as we can, positive or negative.

Cheers,

Ceri

I'd be up for a listen too, not too far away either (Bracknell area).

I'm Ceri.

Hi Dom,

That's a really nice set-up, I bet it sounds good! I'm a big fan of moving lots of air gently to get good bass and you can't argue with 2 x 15" drivers per side. Then you get one driver covering the majority of the frequency range, and a super tweeter filling in the top end. Nice. 4th order L-R crossovers as well, looks like you got all the bases covered.

I've not used Acrylic yet, but it's very dense and I've heard it's got very good self damping, so could make a bit of a jump forward.

I was a bit sceptical about the miniDSP2X4 going digital-analogue-digital-analogue, but if you can put a preamp post DSP, I think you lose very little definition. TBH even controlling the volume at the front end, it still sounds good.

Ceri
    Ceri
    MD CODE Acoustics
    www.code-acoustics.com

Code Acoustics SYSTEM-1 (3-way active speaker system) + Auralic Aries digital streamer

I'm Ceri.

Hi Rob,

Yeah, of course, Bracknell is not far at all. I should have pre-production units ready for listening in 2-3 weeks and I'll give you a shout.

Ceri
    Ceri
    MD CODE Acoustics
    www.code-acoustics.com

Code Acoustics SYSTEM-1 (3-way active speaker system) + Auralic Aries digital streamer

I'm inthescottishmafia.

S
    Hi Dom,

That's a really nice set-up, I bet it sounds good! I'm a big fan of moving lots of air gently to get good bass and you can't argue with 2 x 15" drivers per side. Then you get one driver covering the majority of the frequency range, and a super tweeter filling in the top end. Nice. 4th order L-R crossovers as well, looks like you got all the bases covered.

I've not used Acrylic yet, but it's very dense and I've heard it's got very good self damping, so could make a bit of a jump forward.

I was a bit sceptical about the miniDSP2X4 going digital-analogue-digital-analogue, but if you can put a preamp post DSP, I think you lose very little definition. TBH even controlling the volume at the front end, it still sounds good.

Ceri
    Thanks, yes I think it sounds pretty good. Always room for improvement though, I reckon acrylic will be a good improvement over ply.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dom,

That's a really nice set-up...
    Who's Dom?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I agree - great set-up, Ali! Love the 'lived in' nature of your room, too... Nice cosy vibe. Don't know how folk can function in these stripped-back minimalistic joints. For me, they're way too cold and uninviting. Houses are for living in, not 'showing off'!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Brian.

Dom McCorleone
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast