+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adding remote control to an LDR pre.

I'm Chris.

Hi Richard.

Where I said, you should be able to steal these off the RHS and LHS of the pot..
    I of course mean the wiring you have there at the moment that is going to
    LDR shunt anodes and to your relay common... . both are now wired to J1
    as we want current continually at one series LDR pair - switched via your great relay
    improvement, and current at the shunt pair via your 2.5k pot wiper.

The central leg of pot wire --- this is now grounded, so make a cut at the J1 end of
    that wire and provide it instead to your star ground.

J40 and J25 cathodes - that were previously grounded are now commissioned
    to be on the RHS and LHS of the pot legs.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Richard.

Thanks Chris. I'll try and get my head round that later!
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Right, here goes. On the control board, J1 goes to J27 (L and R, via the balance pot), also to the relay common (which goes via the relays to the the series anodes). J2 still goes to the star earth. J3 still goes to 12v.
    On the LDR boards, both J40 (series cathodes?) goes the top* leg of the pot. The other J40 terminals are not connected (they run to J25 anyway). J25 (shunt cathodes?) goes to the bottom* leg of the pot. The other terminal on J25 (linked to J40) goes to the star earth, because that is signal ground. Have I got it right? If it works, I will tidy up the wiring later. Honest!
    * You say right and left legs, I say top and bottom legs of the pot. I was assuming right equalled top (as in full volume when wiper reaches it), but I suspect that is the wrong way round.

ABD.

I'm Chris.

Hi Richard
    Yes you have it right, but you need also to ground the central leg of pot to star ground.

The attenuation ability occurs in this revised method, because a potential difference
    same as was with the usual anode method, now exists on the LDR cathodes.
    Same as cathodes all grounded previously, ground is needed to steer attenuation.
    In this case the series or shunt arranged LDR is progressively turning on as current
    is being instructed toward, and away as the case may be from that pair.

So lessening volume the shunt cathodes seeking ground via wiper progressively turns on the shunt pair
    and increasing volume the series cathodes seeking ground via wiper progressively turns on the series pair.

Have volume midway when you audio test to ensure pot is wired correctly, your
    description suggests it is right already.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Richard.

Thanks Chris. The white wire from the star earth goes to the pot wiper. I forgot to mention that, as it wasn't something I was confused about, the only thing I wasn't! I'll give it a try later; at the moment I have borrowed a Primare integrated (as a fairly neutral reference) to try to sort my speaker crossovers. They have been waiting nearly 2 years!
    ABD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123