+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Croft Micro Basic 25 Valve Pre Amp

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Phone Haden Boardman up at audio classics in Lancashire, he's a nice bloke & a Croft outlet. tell him what tosspots they are at the same time..

01942 790600
    Haden did seem a really nice bloke when I rang him earlier today (Thursday) but he couldn't help me with the purchase so as I said, it looks as though I'm going to have to buy a nice shiny matching Audiolab 8000Q

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Haden did seem a really nice bloke when I rang him earlier today (Thursday) but he couldn't help me with the purchase so as I said, it looks as though I'm going to have to buy a nice shiny matching Audiolab 8000Q
    you wanna phone crofty up & complain about them

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Radlett are still not answering the telephone some three hours after I first tried and I have no way of paying for a preamp other than by my credit card. Just how the hell can these people run a business involving hundreds of pounds without accepting credit cards...??? My shop accepts debit and credit cards for as little as a tenner...!! What the hell is going on here...???

I will not use credit card cheques as that involves a higher interest rate and waiting around for the damn things to clear. I have money to spend right NOW and I can only do that through my credit card. Don't these bloody people want money...???
    Shaun,
    Sorry about that. I work on my own and have been out most of this week, so there is no one to answer the phone. If you or anyone wants me, the best bet is to e-mail - I always reply, usually within a few hours or sooner.

If you want a Croft pre, that's no problem. Try the phone tomorrow before midday or e-mail me, now if you want and I'll get right back.
    radlettaudio@hotmail.co.uk

David

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Shaun,

I wouldn't hesitate to give your business to Dave. He's definitely one of the good guys and will look after your needs

Hope you enjoy your new Croft (when you get it) - we of course expect pictures and a full write-up!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Apologies to hifi dave and any prospective customer, but I live too far to man the phone when he's out.....

if one of those dealers is saying that the baby preamp is special order only, it's either because ALL of Glenn's product is "special order" or the fact that they would rather sell the more expensive one as they can make a few quid more on it!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shaun.

I do apologise, I didn't realise there was such a connection between this forum and Radlett Hi-Fi. I shall be phoning today (Friday) to place an order.

DSJR, Having thought about what you said I have to concur. Maybe they had the 700 pound one in stock but not the Basic model. It's possible that's why they came up with such a lame excuse.

I'm Nobody.

Hi Shaun

I'm a bit puzzled how you should want the Croft but was willing to opt for the Audiolab, i'd have thought the two sounds were like chalk & cheese!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I presume it was because the Audiolab preamp would match his existing Audiolab 8000M monoblocks

As an aside, I do hope that the combination of the Croft valve pre and Audiolab monoblocks works, as it's rather an unusual one.

Shaun will no doubt find out in due course!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The original 8000Q is good, very very good IMO. The Croft has a "greatness" about the way it delivers and that's the difference. Something in the way the musical reproduction compromises have been mixed.

I like Crofty as a person too. Down to earth, happy to indulge CD lovers like me while not wanting to use it himself, yet putting something of himself into his very reasonably priced products that makes them special.

In twenty years time, I'm sure the new pre-amps will be worth good money, as old Micro's still are...
    Last edited by DSJR; 30-10-2009 at 20:50. Reason: speeling mistikes
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast