+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Croft Epoch - A Tale of developing a MoFo of a pre amp..........

I'm Andrew.

Well I'm enjoying this exercise more and more as I'm slowly learning How the amp works. I'm sure Glenn has some fantastic ideas as to how the amp could be improved and that's what I like. I love the idea that I can talk and discuss the mods and see how they work. Part of the whole hifi experience is knowing that I tailored my equipment to my needs it's very satisfying seeing how your ideas turn out especially at the end of a long winters night when your completely chilled out listening to your favourite tunes.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Well I'm enjoying this exercise more and more as I'm slowly learning How the amp works. I'm sure Glenn has some fantastic ideas as to how the amp could be improved and that's what I like. I love the idea that I can talk and discuss the mods and see how they work. Part of the whole hifi experience is knowing that I tailored my equipment to my needs it's very satisfying seeing how your ideas turn out especially at the end of a long winters night when your completely chilled out listening to your favourite tunes.
    With a favourite tipple of course Andrew I like this type of thread since it points the way to people who buy 2nd hand gear ( in this case Croft ) and want to upgrade it .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    With a favourite tipple of course Andrew I like this type of thread since it points the way to people who buy 2nd hand gear ( in this case Croft ) and want to upgrade it .
    Usually a big glug of single malt Brian! I hope you enjoy the thread and I'll be posting some pictures later.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    The part in bold is it... couldn't agree more.
    Thanks!

Well I got another email and the fully monty includes :-

Seiden selector switch.
    Eichmann phono sockets.
    Khozmo attenuator.
    SCR Teflon output caps.
    Rike PIO coupling caps.
    Clarity Cap TC4 power supply caps.
    Separate transformer box with separate 500VA transformers for each channel.
    Separate hybrid ht supplies for each channel.

Precision wirewound resistors.

Individual heater regulators for each valve.

I'm not sure if Glenn can push things further but sounds pretty exhaustive. I still don't know how he's going to populate the Khozmo attenuator, I'd like to know his resistor selection. Additionally I have no idea what " Individual heater regulators for each valve" are and God only know's what "Separate hybrid ht supplies for each channel." can be . I presume that they must have something to do with the SS regulation that some of these high end Crofts seem to have around here . I have some pictures for later so I'm off for an hour to get some work done.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Usually a big glug of single malt Brian! I hope you enjoy the thread and I'll be posting some pictures later.

Thanks!

Well I got another email and the fully monty includes :-

Seiden selector switch.
    Eichmann phono sockets.
    Khozmo attenuator.
    SCR Teflon output caps.
    Rike PIO coupling caps.
    Clarity Cap TC4 power supply caps.
    Separate transformer box with separate 500VA transformers for each channel.
    Separate hybrid ht supplies for each channel.

Precision wirewound resistors.

Individual heater regulators for each valve.

I'm not sure if Glenn can push things further but sounds pretty exhaustive. I still don't know how he's going to populate the Khozmo attenuator, I'd like to know his resistor selection. Additionally I have no idea what " Individual heater regulators for each valve" are and God only know's what "Separate hybrid ht supplies for each channel." can be . I presume that they must have something to do with the SS regulation that some of these high end Crofts seem to have around here . I have some pictures for later so I'm off for an hour to get some work done.
    Err that sounds pretty comprehensive to me.

Might be up there with your spec Jo
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Hmmmmm...... quite disappointing but also reassuring. I hope this is as far as Glenn can push things (the reassuring bit), but I hope Glenn's just not copying your amp - the disappointing bit. It would be interesting to see if Glenn's making any compromises with these parts or if's he's selected these with the knowledge that they are definitely the best bits for the job.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Hmmmmm...... quite disappointing but also reassuring. I hope this is as far as Glenn can push things (the reassuring bit), but I hope Glenn's just not copying your amp - the disappointing bit. It would be interesting to see if Glenn's making any compromises with these parts or if's he's selected these with the knowledge that they are definitely the best bits for the job.
    I can tell you Andrew I have known many of the amplifiers Glenn has built over the years having had his original micro nearly 30 years ago and I have heard many of his pre and power amps although not all his specials.

If you really want to know how far he can go with your pre speak to Adrian Parsons at Audioflair and i can tell you some of the components can be eye watering in price and his amps can be mind boggling in complexity - take a look at his Absolute 1 pre amp with 8 transformers and an unbelievably complex circuit. It all depends how far you really want to go and how deep your pockets are. Some of the caps are £1000 a pop!

Ultimately however its all about how the amp performs and sounds and this is where fine tuning may come into play especially with its interaction with the rest of your system.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

The Croft Absolut 1

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/croft/croft.html

Not sure if he would build one of these again!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I could say a few things about that, and about the 'Amar era', in general...

Let's just say that Glenn's head was not in a very good place then (and for valid reasons)!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I could say a few things about that, and about the 'Amar era', in general...

Let's just say that Glenn's head was not in a very good place then (and for valid reasons)!

Marco.
    Your right Marco - the past is probably best left alone but some of Glenns creations were absolutely amazing and shows what a genius he really is with valve amps. Don,t forget your amp and Jo,s in their orginal concept were created in that past.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I can tell you Andrew I have known many of the amplifiers Glenn has built over the years having had his original micro nearly 30 years ago and I have heard many of his pre and power amps although not all his specials.

If you really want to know how far he can go with your pre speak to Adrian Parsons at Audioflair and i can tell you some of the components can be eye watering in price and his amps can be mind boggling in complexity - take a look at his Absolute 1 pre amp with 8 transformers and an unbelievably complex circuit. It all depends how far you really want to go and how deep your pockets are. Some of the caps are £1000 a pop!

Ultimately however its all about how the amp performs and sounds and this is where fine tuning may come into play especially with its interaction with the rest of your system.
    I have to be sensible and am I really going to see a massive difference if I plonk in a £1K cap when a £20 cap will do just the same job? I'll have a look at the Audioflair website.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The Croft Absolut 1

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/croft/croft.html

Not sure if he would build one of these again!
    I've seen this page before but completely forgot about it. That is one series pre-amp, I dont think my pockets are that DEEP!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast