+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got to get me one of these

I'm rupert.

I sure he wasn't... come on, it is funny.. humans are prone to placebo effects. That is was differentiates us from robots who would just measure something in order to make a judgement. We are not fail safe but we can learn over time..

Anyways, for my part, I didn't take it personally..

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I have been accused of not having a sense of humour, not true I do, but in this I see a potential for flames not anything of light. I recall a few years ago a picture put up similar, but pandering to the stereotypical way men use gear and how women use gear, it ended in flames. The picture was of an amplifier with knobs and buttons labelled to reflect those stereotypes.

I see that picture as a piss take and insult to those who put listening first.

But if Paul and I are alone in thinking that, fair enough.

I believe the purpose of a forum is not to massage egos but to instead challenge beliefs in order to that people can have a more informed opinion. As a scientist I have spent my entire life challenging and testing theories.

I’m never offended when people challenge my opinions. If my argument is strong I will provable. If not then I’m willing to change and am always ready to embrace new ideas. I tend to find that people who throw their toys out of the pram at the slightest challenge don’t have a good argument in the first place.

I'm Bob.

You are 100% correct Marco, just a bit of fun

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    For me, this sort of thing highlights how we all interpret what we see in front of us differently - and much will depend on mood... When I saw it, I laughed, so that was my initial reaction.

However, given the amount of piss-taking on forums, in reference to 'foo' (a word I hate intensely), because unlike 'placebo effect', which is a recognised and accepted phenomenon (although not always applicable to where it is applied), it's a purely derogatory term coined by those who simply won't accept that not everything that people genuinely hear can currently be measured, I can also understand Paul and Neil's reaction, as many folks are fed up having their valid observations rudely dismissed as 'imagined'.

However, the key question is: did Bob mean any malice by posting what he did? I sincerely suspect not, and just thought it was something funny to post, to lighten up a dull Sunday morning, which unfortunately was taken the wrong way.

Am I right, Bob?

Marco.
    Precisely, not so much mine but just in general.

Whether Bob intended such or not is for me moot as the original creator more than likely was taking the piss. I can't imagine any other reason for creating such an image. I don't like the term foo either but it does fit some stuff out there. I have too often seen 'placebo' used in an insulting way, a way to silence and destroy folks valid listening based opinions.

I am not anti measurements, or science but I am against folks seeking to crush valid opinions by using words in an insulting way.

I want to know why folks can't hear stuff and others can, it fascinates me. I have never said - as far as I can recall - that folks who say they can't hear stuff are deluded, deaf etc. I accept they are not hearing what I might hear, or others hear, and I would like to know why that is. Complex subject but worthy of investigation.
    Regards Neil

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by cloth-ears View Post
    I believe the purpose of a forum is not to massage egos but to instead challenge beliefs in order to that people can have a more informed opinion. As a scientist I have spent my entire life challenging and testing theories.

I’m never offended when people challenge my opinions. If my argument is strong I will provable. If not then I’m willing to change and am always ready to embrace new ideas. I tend to find that people who throw their toys out of the pram at the slightest challenge don’t have a good argument in the first place.
    I wish more people would think like you.. things like I.S. wouldn't exist. (sorry for the thread drift)

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well I think it's funny. Taking this hobby too seriously is a good way to lose all the enjoyment from it.

X2 Crickey it is just a bit of fun.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    I wish more people would think like you.. things like I.S. wouldn't exist. (sorry for the thread drift)
    Thank you kind sir

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thought so!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    Wow Bob, what an amazing life you must lead, nothing better to do than go on a forum on a Sunday morning and take the piss out of people enjoying a hobby. Or do do you live with someone who put a gun to your head and made you do it? What a numpty.
    that is not a funny remark imo.

I'm Neil.

Sadly though you attacked Paul for expressing his view, rather than taking a step back and seeing that the image might just not be a laugh for some, and seen as an stirring/insulting thing.

My reaction was based on seeing that bigger picture and that the word placebo for me, as I feel was intended by the images creator, is used in an insulting way to take the piss of and shut subjectavists up.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast