+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Records weights for SL 1210

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    I will get me coat then.
    Come back, Andy! - you are no longer on your own in Michell clamp heaven.

I'm Anthony.

Andy,

I value your input. I just noticed your turntable system is designed be used with the Michell clamp - so I'd expect it to be synergistic.
    The mitchell didn't seem to do much for me but I'm sure these tweaks affect sound and its very personal about whether they are beneficial or not. Its likely my system is very different from your's , so it will have a different set of compromises to ameliorate. My mate used the Michell with the Techie I have until he sold it to me ..... he loved the Michell clamp. He runs a all solid state system as opposed to my all tube system. The sound he got from the same turntable was different from how it sounded in mine (different cartridge, cables, amps and speakers and importantly different room acoustics).
    So just goes to show...so many variables - difficult to say how its gonna go with any change.
    For example, the highly regarded Funk achromat (with the SDS isoplatmat I still use) was very underwelming in my setup ...... sucked out the bass and air/ soundstage......the worst change I've made in my system. Restored things when I went back to the thick rubber mat I had originally.....
    ..... you'd never expect those effects when you consider the posts I read n the forum....

Oh well.... I guess these tweaks are , "try it and see" in nature.....

Anthony
    My system:

Kenwood KD600/ Alphason HR100S MCS/ Audio Technica ATOC9Mk3 or Technics SL1210/ KAB bearing mod/KAB TD1200 fluid damper/Sumiko HS12 headshell/ Audio Technica ATOC9Mk2

Icon Audio PS3Mk2 phono stage (or Primare R32 phono stage plus Beyerdynamic SUT), KAB RF-1 rumble filter, Icon audio LA4 Mk3 preamp, Icon Audio MB90Mk2m mono blocks, Solid Tech Rack of Silence 4, Tannoy Glenair 10 speakers, Nordost Leif series Red dawn and Blue heaven interconnects, Neotech 3002 speaker cables

I'm Neil.

In my direct experience the bruil Weight is one of the best on the Technics http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html
    Regards Neil

I'm Anthony.

Andy,

if memory serves me right, the mitchell clamp you have is a screw down type onto a threaded spindle ? So its like a reflex clamp in essence. Its purposely made light for the type of turntable you have.....so its probably optimised for your turntable.
    On a techie, its different. No suspension.......
    I'm sure suspended deck couldn't handle some of the weights that people use (500-1kg or more) on their non suspended turntables like techies and Idlers......

Anthony
    My system:

Kenwood KD600/ Alphason HR100S MCS/ Audio Technica ATOC9Mk3 or Technics SL1210/ KAB bearing mod/KAB TD1200 fluid damper/Sumiko HS12 headshell/ Audio Technica ATOC9Mk2

Icon Audio PS3Mk2 phono stage (or Primare R32 phono stage plus Beyerdynamic SUT), KAB RF-1 rumble filter, Icon audio LA4 Mk3 preamp, Icon Audio MB90Mk2m mono blocks, Solid Tech Rack of Silence 4, Tannoy Glenair 10 speakers, Nordost Leif series Red dawn and Blue heaven interconnects, Neotech 3002 speaker cables

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ants View Post
    For example, the highly regarded Funk achromat (with the SDS isoplatmat I still use) was very underwelming in my setup ...... sucked out the bass and air/ soundstage......the worst change I've made in my system. Restored things when I went back to the thick rubber mat I had originally.....
    ..... you'd never expect those effects when you consider the posts I read n the forum....
    The thing here, I suspect, is that the standard Techie platter is very 'ringy' - take it off and flick it ... tingggggggg . It's resonant as hell. So a nice heavy floppy rubber mat damps that quite nicely. The solid Achromat and SDS mats don't address that aspect much and platter resonance has a major impact on the sonics, ime.
    I use a very heavy floppy Dumpa rubber mat on my Technics SL150ii having tried various solid mats with less success.

I'm Anthony.

Jerry, I think so.
    The SDS isoplatmat and the thick rubber mat seems to be a bit better than just the thick rubber maybe.....especially when I use the Sota clamp. The extra height means the standard arm with KAB damper is up about as high as I can adjust...... the Sota clamp has only just enough spindle to clamp effectively...
    The achromat might be looking for a new home......or go another turntable I have....

Anthony
    My system:

I'm Anthony.

Neil, so 350- 375gm might be the sweet spot for record weights for the techie?
    Anyone used heavier ones???? I've never been brave enough as I have standard bearing.....

Anthony
    My system:

I'm Neil.

Get yourself an Oyaide BR one rubber under mat. It works very well under metal mats, including Oyaides own metal one. The Oyaide weight is the best match for their mat, but the Bruil the best overall with other mat options and I have tried quiet a few todate, including the Michell.
    Regards Neil

I'm Anthony.

The Oyaide BR-12 looks a bit like the old Sony 'lunar' record mat with the round dots/ recesses in the mat....though the Oyaide has them arranged to look very nice and distinctive
    My rubber matt has a central depression which gradually gets less towards the edges to support the record especially if used with the Sota clamp or a record weight - so its like the Oyaide (not sure if its 1% slope though) but not as nice looking nor made with the same type of rubber compound.....maybe one to try then.....

The SDS isoplatmat on its own seems to dampen the stock platter - adding the rubber may added a bit more mass/ flywheel effect to the whole platter arrangement....

Anthony
    My system:

I'm Anthony.

Oh just realised the Oyaide BR-one is only 1 mm thick......

the BR-12 is the full mat......

doh....

Anthony
    My system:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast