+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR XA

I'm Adam.

Default AR XA

Anyone else on here using an AR XA turntable???
    I only ask as I’ve been blown away with this simple TT
    wanted to find out if any modifications were doable
    (i understand a chap in the UK used to "take them to another level", alas he has passed)

An incredible TT at any price point.

"lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Mike.

Yep the AR XA was ground zero for sprung chassis turntables, it was very cheap and simple but importantly was very well engineered, the arm didn't have a lift and again was incredibly simple, its only flaw was that you couldn't easily use other arms with it, it was designed as a package and you embraced that or looked for something else.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Andrew.

These are great decks. I've worked on a couple and loved every minute.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Lawrence.

Did you outbid me on this a couple of weeks ago on eBay?? Always wanted to try one and it looked in good shape.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Did you outbid me on this a couple of weeks ago on eBay?? Always wanted to try one and it looked in good shape.

Hi law no
    This ones been under the bed for a while

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Lawrence.

Nice thing to have under the bed

They just look so minimalist and "current" that I'd excuse any shortfall in performance to a basic modern suspended TT to have one on the rack.

I'm Adam.

Why do you assume a shortfall in performance over a modern TT..?
    Not at all!!! Thats the point!

In fact i would firmly claim the opposite. It's an amazing sounding TT

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post

One of Edgar Villchur's many good ideas! Spawned loads of copies: the Thorens TD150, the Ariston, amongst others and of course the infamous Linn.

(PS Adam, what is the armboard of your TD124/II made of?)
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Why do you assume a shortfall in performance over a modern TT..?
    Not at all!!! Thats the point!

In fact i would firmly claim the opposite. It's an amazing sounding TT
    Ah but I think you're looking to upgrade the arm, whereas I'm saying I'd keep it as it is, on looks alone if nothing else.

I'm Adam.

Oh I see, well the arm will essentially look the same except I'm hoping to put a Techi tube on that will allow universal
    sme type fitting. Also now i have found a huge amount of info the (sadly departed) Marc Morin mods for both arm and TT
    Interesting thread on this subject here

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....advice.785975/

i will possibly, if i can be arsed and money allows, like to rewire it properly and address the base of the arm stem, where i understand with some work
    great improvements can be made.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast