Default Good balanced AES/XLR cables?

Evening!

I have my eye on these...

http://blackrhodium-uk.shptron.com/p...ct-cable?pp=12

Any other suggestions? :¬)
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm Mark.

Oyaide pure silver 5 nines FTVS-910 might cost less then that depending on the length and which connectors are fitted.

http://www.oyaide.co.uk/oyaide-cable.htm

you know who to ask

I'm Neil.

I don't think you need to go any further than: https://markgrant.co.uk/audio-cables...-balanced.html for XLR cable.

I haven't heard any differences between XLR cables, so go for pro audio quality for this reason & leave the 'foo' to the speaker cable & analogue RCA cable.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Sam.

a 110ohm cable suggests to me the cable is made from an off-the-shelf cable designed for digital transmission. That's ok in itself but begs the question as to why it is then a fancy cable - it's just a bunch of ready-made parts stuck together and a sold with an extra bunch of hype at extra cost.

You can buy twisted, silver plated copper, 110ohm cable with PTFE, 100% shield with the shield electrically connected to the drain wire for about £5/ft.

Then this Black Rhodium cable has weights attached ! Well, you can solve that yourself if you need to - here are the BS (IMHO) claims made by Graham Nalty themselves about adding any old weight (so why buy theirs?):

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Nalty VS-1
    VS-1
    Vibration Stabiliser

The GN Legacy Range VS-1 Vibration Stabiliser reduces and almost eliminates mechanical vibrations in audio and video cables.

Loudspeakers vibrate in order to produce the sound you hear. This vibration is transmitted from the loudspeaker cabinet to the cable and back to the amplifier.

Amplifiers vibrate from the mechanical forces created by the currents in the supply transformers and in the circuits driving the loudspeakers. These vibrations are transmitted by the cable to the loudspeaker.

Cables vibrate from the mechanical forces caused by the current in their cores.

All this vibration causes mechanical stresses in the cable that result in small levels of noise or distortion voltages that add to the electrical waveform driving the loudspeakers. That these noises are audible can easily be proved by application of mechanical damping such as the GN Legacy Range Vibration Stabilisers.
    My emphasis added.

The whole Black Rhodium description is an exercise in re-framing standard 110ohm cable features into over-written tripe. That's what copywriters are good at doing and is how advertising works to get you to pay more money for something quite standard.

I'm Sam.

That weight idea leaves so many unanswered questions...

I'm Ross.

Thanks!

I don't really care for the weights, the cable itself seems to get good reviews. But then again, so do crystals in some places ;¬)
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I haven't heard any differences between XLR cables, so go for pro audio quality for this reason & leave the 'foo' to the speaker cable & analogue RCA cable.
    Agree completely. I bought a couple pairs of these http://www.iglooaudio.co.uk/category/silver-mogwai/ and haven't been tempted to try anything more exotic.

+ Reply to Thread