+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice on cartridge for Ariston RD80

I'm Mike.

Default Advice on cartridge for Ariston RD80

Hi

I've an old Ariston RD80 turntable that I want to get running again. Since retrieving it from the attic I've discovered two cartridges. One is an ADC Series IV that has a broken stylus. I've no idea if it's any good or if I can get a new stylus for it (I have worked out how to remove the stylus). It's attached to a Glanz headshell.

ADC.jpg

The other is a Grado marked F-3+. I think this was used with an old Dual I had many years ago. If it is then it has an intermittent fault and I'm guessing would be difficult to repair and probably not worth it.

GRADO.jpg

Might it be worth pursuing the ADC or would I be better looking for something new? I was hoping not to spend more than 50 quid. The Denon recommended in the welcome thread was over a hundred as far as I could tell so would be a big stretch.

Cheers
    Mike

I'm Johan.

I'm not a fan of the Grado-sound, so this is my advice. Best quality in styli:

http://www.jico-stylus.com/index.php?cPath=1

I'm Geoff.

I rather like Grados. They are my third favourite non MCs, behind ADC and Decca. I've always had a nice musical sound from Grados.

Don't bother trying to get a new stylus for an iffy Grado though. It's likely to have internal problems.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

Grado do seem to polarise opinion. Many years ago I had one of their budget FCE+1 carts which was the fave rave of the magazines at the time. It was impressive and years later when I had much better gear I tried it in a decent system "just for a laugh".... it really was very good indeed and although it was about £15 new (about 1981) it would have surprised some modern £100+ models IIRC... The few times I've heard more recent and more expensive Grado's I've been disappointed... too warm and woolly for my liking.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Grado do seem to polarise opinion. Many years ago I had one of their budget FCE+1 carts which was the fave rave of the magazines at the time. It was impressive and years later when I had much better gear I tried it in a decent system "just for a laugh".... it really was very good indeed and although it was about £15 new (about 1981) it would have surprised some modern £100+ models IIRC... The few times I've heard more recent and more expensive Grado's I've been disappointed... too warm and woolly for my liking.
    Back in the late 70s/early 80s, the even cheaper FTE+1 was a favourite with Harry Pearson at The Absolute Sound. It was £13 retail - we sold a fair few of these at Canterbury Hi-Fi, when I worked there many moons ago. I found a NOS one recently and snapped it up. Haven't played it yet

I'm Charlie.

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread. Before answering this, what tonearm do you have on the RD80? It's important to know that, as you need to know the effective mass of the tonearm, so that you can match the cartridge compliance.

I'm Mike.

Thanks for the replies. It's a Linn Basik LVV arm.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSP View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It's a Linn Basik LVV arm.
    The LV-V arm is a decent item. It will work with MC (moving coil) cartridges should you ever decide to try one. The standard headshell is not the best, just replace it with a solid cast alloy or magnesium item and the arm will cope with any low to medium compliance cartridge very well.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

The headshell is a Glanz one but I don't know what type or what it's made of.

I'm Jason.

I regret selling my ADC XLM III cart - they're fab MM carts and if you can get a new stylus for yours it may well surprise you!
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

+ Reply to Thread