+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quad ESL 57's to refurb help please

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Cheers Ali, i will have a looksee
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The films now available are different to the original, so be sure to do both speakers at once.
    Yeh i think the original Films were made by ICI, forget the band name of it.

I'm Nobody.

A bit of investigating this mornin..

"The original '57 pannel coating was A substance called CALATON. CALATON was a form of Nylon, which had its surface modified such that it would go into alcohol/water solution at the reflux temperature of Methyl Alcohol. CALATON was made by I.C.I. (U.K)"

The '63's were different.

i heard that the new pannells are diffarent supposed to be better , the original pannels are 175 pounds each nos maybe someone near you may have a set you can compare against yours that you could see how far yours are off the mark ,my friend has the new quad treble pannells which he sells an odd one off and that is what he gets ,he also has around 50 quad 57 speakers with various faults, which we are starting to fix against our reference set as the comparison ,with hugely varying results,some are really dead and others a little leaner and you can get a pair matched up very well ,the valve engineer glen croft had three sets matched up this way from a lot of pannells this way which he used for years but i dont know if he still uses them as he was using without dust covers,anyway good luck

I'm Nobody.

Here's an upgrade for the 57's..Run a proper individal HT supply to each pannel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12