+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATC SCM11 vs LS3/5A

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

At this moment in time, I wouldn't have either! ATC's are silly inefficient, sound bland all too often if underpowered and seem to suffer an over projected upper mid these days. The 3/5A is an outdated squeak-box and vintage ones will ALL be out of spec now. Harbeth P3ESR's eat them alive!

Loads of small alternatives, but I was quite impressed with the Sonus faber Venere babies. Not perfect but good looking and fun to listen through to the music and musicians making it - far more 'transparent' in a musical-emotional sense to me. The Rega RX3 is another at similar price that gets the emotions going and the new more solid cabs inspire confidence.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm gone.

I've owned LS3/5a and ATC SCM10.

I really liked the LS for its natural tonality, relaxed musicality and good imaging. It really came into its own with a small subwoofer - quite stunning, imo, the sub made all the difference in the world to the presentation. Marvellous dynamics and a real sense of scale were added, quite an unexpected result, but marvellous synergy!

I hated the ATC. Horrid things that did hifi but not music. All false etch and bland colourless mids and 2D soundstage. Yuk.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    At this moment in time, I wouldn't have either! ATC's are silly inefficient, sound bland all too often if underpowered and seem to suffer an over projected upper mid these days. The 3/5A is an outdated squeak-box and vintage ones will ALL be out of spec now. Harbeth P3ESR's eat them alive!

Loads of small alternatives, but I was quite impressed with the Sonus faber Venere babies. Not perfect but good looking and fun to listen through to the music and musicians making it - far more 'transparent' in a musical-emotional sense to me. The Rega RX3 is another at similar price that gets the emotions going and the new more solid cabs inspire confidence.

I'm assuming that you've not heard the new Falcon Acoustics LS3/5A or you wouldn't have made such a remark David. Yes, there are plenty of average sounding small boxes these days but few that really impress. The only commercial offerings that have genuinely impressed me include the new LS3/5A, Harbeth's C7 ES3, Gamut's RS2s and I'm pretty sweet on the Raptors too!

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I've owned LS3/5a and ATC SCM10.

I really liked the LS for its natural tonality, relaxed musicality and good imaging. It really came into its own with a small subwoofer - quite stunning, imo, the sub made all the difference in the world to the presentation. Marvellous dynamics and a real sense of scale were added, quite an unexpected result, but marvellous synergy!

I hated the ATC. Horrid things that did hifi but not music. All false etch and bland colourless mids and 2D soundstage. Yuk.
    Therein lies a constant argument. Nearly every modern speaker I have heard does impressive but I know that if I was foolish enough to take them home, I would find them deeply unsatisfying. As in all generalisations there will be exceptions but I have found it to be true regarding those I have heard.

My usual listen these days is the KEF101s with the LS35A grilles and felt. Very near field and they are great musical speakers, slightly better bass than the real thing. The big system gets switched on when I want to annoy the neighbours (ears no workee)

I'm Bastien.

Damn, so maybe I made a mistake to choose the SCM11, but I must say I've always been satisfied with the dynamics and soundstage they provide so far.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by ludovico View Post
    Damn, so maybe I made a mistake to choose the SCM11, but I must say I've always been satisfied with the dynamics and soundstage they provide so far.
    If you like them, I can't see that there is a problem. Your ears in your system etc....

However, I do wonder why you were considering the LS35A instead!! Or is it as well? It seems to be the common opinion that they are chalk and cheese so are the two a reasonable pair to choose between?

I'm gone.

ATC for rock/electronica where natural tonality is less important, and "exciting" dynamism and power handling is impressive.
    LS3/5a for acoustic jazz / vocals / classical etc where naturalness is a big virtue.

Or something like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12