+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ART 9 on a SL1200mkII ?

I'm David.

Default ART 9 on a SL1200mkII ?

I'm currently playing an AT150ANV mm cartridge on my SL1200mkII with excellent results. My stock arm has the KAB damper, the KAB Cardas total rewire by Kevin and the stock headshell with upgraded leads. Previously played a MusicMaker 3, which to my ears, is bettered by the AT150ANV.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I've got the upgradeitis bug and would like to try something new. Would an AT ART-9 be an overreach for the arm? Any compliance mismatch issues with an ART-9? My phono preamp has up to 70db gain available, so all but the lowest output mc cartridges should be fine if there's another favorite cartridge you'd like to recommend.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Audio Technica provide ambigious information regarding the compliance of the ART-9. They quote a static compliance of 35cu and a dynamic compliance (at 100Hz) of 18cu. If we assume the static compliance is double the dynamic compliance at 10Hz, then this makes 17.5cu. However the dynamic compliance at 100 Hz is ~ 1.5 to 2.0 times the value at 10Hz, giving a value of ~ 12cu.

The mass of the ART-9 is 8.5g and the effective mass of the arm used with the SL1200 Mk. II is assumed to be ~ 15g (figure taken from the vinylengine database). Using the two interpolated values for the dynamic compliance, we calculate the low frequency resonance will occur between 7.8 - 9.5Hz. These two figures are on the low side, but if your deck is well isolated, should not be a problem.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

I would say since the specs given for the AT150ANV are really similar to the ART-9, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Current equipment: Cornscalas - Quicksilver Horn Monos - Technics 1210 M5G with Zu Denon 103R cartride and Haufe SUT.

I'm Darren.

i had an ART1 on a stock techy sometime ago. worked great. i might have got more from it since adding a better arm, but it was still excellent. and in my opinion, the ART1 is actually better than the ART9, so it'll be fine.

it will also reward an arm upgrade in the future.

again, in my opinion, the ART9 is about the best value for money cart out there at the moment.....

+ Reply to Thread