+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stanton 500AL

I'm Stuart.

Default Stanton 500AL

Having followed a couple of Marco's threads regarding very cheap broadcast cartridges (Goldring G800 and the recent Shure thread), I actually purchased a couple of G800's to play with and was mightily impressed with the standard cartridge. I've sent one off to be retipped by the ESCO maestro, to see what improvements can be brought with a much better diamond.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my current favourite cartridge (despite owning some very high end exotica, which are obviously a bit superior) which is a Stanton 500AL.

I managed to pick it up for the princely sum of £18.10. It came with a Technics headshell, headshell wires and a headshell weight.

Initially I fitted it as supplied to my venerable Sony did turntable and dialled in approx 1.5g vtf. The sound was pretty bright and the counter weight was really well back towards the end of the arm! The cart was riding quite low at the rear so I decided to remove the weight to try and get the thing sitting level.

I then did a little research and found out why the headshell had the weight added. The stylus has a blue oblong mark on the front denoting it's a heavier tracking stylus.

I then dialled in 2.5g vtf (which is about the minimum vtf advised) and boy oh boy!
    This cheap little cartridge sounds really enjoyable! It's not massively revealing or terribly hifi, but it really is an enjoyable sound. It reminds me of the first turntable I ever bought....a Leak delta (Lenco 75 clone from memory) with a Shure MM cartridge. Every time I play it, it just makes my toes tap and is a really nice sound! I think it sounds substantially better than the standard G800.

When I look at what I paid, the smiles per pound are unparalleled!

If you get chance to pick one of these up, it's well worth a try, especially at the price I paid!
    I'm sure there are chaps on here that can give a better informed opinion on these cartridges, but for me, they sound pretty great!

As a disclaimer, the cart is going through a moth phono stage into a Linn classic, playing through an old pair of Pink Triangle Ventricals...my proper kit is in storage at present, but this stuff I'm using sounds really good and trounces cd (even msfl CDs!)

Happy listening, Stu

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I have G800's and have recently rebuilt a G800E stylus. The stock parts are really agricultural sadly, but the Jico innards are rather finer and the diamond is incomparably better

I also have a Stanton 500 and V3 and yes, they're solid and funky, but I do find them a bit stolid as well. Huge fun though. I think a Pickering VX15/625 either in normal or DJ form would be worth a look out for too
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Grant.

Put a jico shibata on an AT95... its a super combo
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stuart.

Just listening to Santana Moonflower through the Stanton, I think the grin factor is fantastic!
    I can do a quick change to Shure M75 with Jico SAS stylus and although there's more detail, I think the Stanton has more boogie factor!
    It's obviously why it's a dj cartridge!
    Or possibly there's a synergy between dd turntable and a dj cart.
    Like I said, for £18.10 inc headshell....utter bargain! Well worth a little punt if you get the chance.
    It'll make you smile

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I have G800's and have recently rebuilt a G800E stylus. The stock parts are really agricultural sadly, but the Jico innards are rather finer and the diamond is incomparably better
    I sent a G800 with original stylus (sans diamond) to ESCO. They are replacing the missing diamond with a paratrace, but in the original aluminium cantilever.
    A couple of other cartridges also went for retip. I can't wait for their return, to see what they can do (a Stanton 681 EEE and an Audio Technica AT31e with sapphire cantilever).
    Should be interesting to see what they're like!

I'm Andy.

l myself on the odd occasion bust out my Stanton 500AL- very full and musical sound.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Put a jico shibata on an AT95... its a super combo
    I wonder if Jico can be persuaded to do a Linn K5/K9 stylus, as the main body is that of a 95E and relatives?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

I've got a 650 V3 and it is a lot of fun for fairly simple music that benefits from a big boned presentation - like disco or '90s club stuff. Not so good with music that depends on subtleties. I also have a 681EEE which is much more refined, but still fun - quite a bargain at the price for the quality on offer
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I wonder if Jico can be persuaded to do a Linn K5/K9 stylus, as the main body is that of a 95E and relatives?
    Guess it would depend on how many are still out there and being used. Lots of at95s around. It surprising just how good that cheap cart can be made to sound for a 20 quidder. Fair enough the stylus is over a ton but it competes well with anythi!g in that bracket
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread