+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: record cleaning on the cheap

I'm jamie.

Default record cleaning on the cheap

for those like me that don't or wont spend big money on a record cleaning machine i thought id show you my approach,
    you need a cheap or buggered turntable or a lazy Susan,i bought my turntable for £5.00.
    pop down to b&q and get some waste pipe,an end cap and some clear plastic hose,drill a hole in the end cap for the pipe to fit through,then glue the end cap on to the waste pipe,job done!
    on the end of the plastic pipe glue a piece of velvet or like me use an okki nokki strip. when set cut a slit in it.
    thats it! all you need to do is put the waste pipe into the hose of you hoover.

and here it is in action!

http://vid1267.photobucket.com/album...ps7cd97pqe.mp4

and rinsing,

http://vid1267.photobucket.com/album...psllh64loi.mp4
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Anto.

Very good Jamie !!! I was going to make one similar myself , but went down the Knosti route !
    Your suction pad on the end of the clear tube looks interesting. How dry do the records actually appear after that ,and are they crackle free??
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm jamie.

thanks mate,they are dry to the eyes after vacuuming but to be sure i leave the record for 10 mins, i've had great results most are dead silent but as is the norm with vinyl you do get the odd one which doesn't respond.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Andy.

Outstanding! I long agonised about doing something similar but, TBH I didn't have the balls to connect my Dyson to one of my records, albeit indirectly! I therefore chickened out and bought an Okki Nokki. Delighted to see that it actually works though - nice one.

I'm jamie.

cheers,i do turn the power down on the vac!
    i think there can be a lot of snobbery regarding cleaning machines,what do they do? they suck up the cleaning solution after its done its job,can a £3000 one suck it up better than a 2000w hoover?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    i think there can be a lot of snobbery regarding cleaning machines
    Completely agree. Some of them are marketed almost as if they were turntables. I'm just waiting for someone to bring out one with an inverted ruby/sapphire bearing or some such. I went for the Okki Nokki as it looked like the cheapest reliable way of sucking up dirty cleaning fluid that I didn't have to build myself. Even then it was a hassle - first one had to go back as the platter was bent so it only sucked up fluid on 2 quarters of the record!

Agree it's a good plan to turn the power down though

I'm keith.

dont you need a wet vac though? I was going to try something similar a while ago but read sucking the fluid into a normal hoover would damage it?

I'm jamie.

i use my vac with the paper filter removed,if you are concerned about water damaging your vac you can always put a jam jar in line,that way any water is caught,plus you get the added bonus of seeing just how dirty your records are!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    for those like me that don't or wont spend big money on a record cleaning machine i thought id show you my approach,
    you need a cheap or buggered turntable or a lazy Susan,i bought my turntable for £5.00.
    pop down to b&q and get some waste pipe,an end cap and some clear plastic hose,drill a hole in the end cap for the pipe to fit through,then glue the end cap on to the waste pipe,job done!
    on the end of the plastic pipe glue a piece of velvet or like me use an okki nokki strip. when set cut a slit in it.
    thats it! all you need to do is put the waste pipe into the hose of you hoover.
    Nice one Jamie
    ... where there's a will there's a way (and such)

Might give that a go - have an old Dyson in the shed just looking for some action

I'm jamie.

sweet as!
    if you do make sure the pipe diameter isnt too small as this looses suction.
    the one i use is kinda rectangular.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast