+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Bake off fever

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Gordon,

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Exactly and that is what the GL75 did. What can be more accurate than actually sounding like real music and real musical instruments? Nothing cuddly about the sound of violins, trumpets and saxophones.
    That's fine, it it's agreed by all who were present, that's what the GL75 *actually* did, otherwise it's just your word (and preferences) against theirs!

I was only commenting on what Richard said about the GL75, based on his experience of it, which mirrors my own.

When I can hear the sonic signature of the T/T imbued over the music, that's what turns me off. The former should simply act, sonically, as near as possible, as an 'invisible carrier' for the latter. That's what the best T/Ts do. They get out of the equation and let the music speak for itself.

You are in danger of perpetuating the myth about the GL75 and its brethren in the same way you complain about people labelling the Technics. Richard is wont to do the same thing but then his view is as biased as yours only towards pink side of life. He keeps telling my Quad amps dim and murky and I say bollocks to him as well
    Lol.... Well, at the end of the day I guess all any of us can do is tell it how we hear it, based on our sonic preferences and benchmark of how real instruments and voices are supposed to sound.

I think we've gotten to the bottom of what was likely responsible for the 'clinical' nature of Kevin's Techy: the cartridge - or more specifically - the lack of synergy its sound had in the context with that of the partnering system.

Quite simply, as I can comment from considerable experience in this area, sterility (clinical sound) is NOT inherent in the DNA of the Technics; it's only something that occurs when the wrong ancillaries are employed, or the T/T is used in an unsympathetic system.

The reason I'm determined to get that message across, Gordon, is so that folk aren't put off going down the modded Technics route, as a result of a false accusation of sterility, when that needn't happen

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yep I found that Kevin. The 2M likes to be tracked at the top end of its weight 1.6 -1.7g. You will get even more out of it if you can alter the tonearm height and get the back end of the cartridge down a tad. Azimuth also critical. I have spent 2 years fiddling with mine and it now delivers superb sound.
    Thanks for the tip. I have just nudged the arm down a tad (VTA on the fly makes it easy) and it seems to be responding well. I just need to check the VTF.
    Wife is home, and daughter is asleep, so this is currently done on headphones - I'll check speaker output when I next get the chance.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678