+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Vinyl Snake Oil - with apologies to Clifford Stoll

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    I started with a 'Disco' cleaner and whilst it was better than nothing it was a pain to get really good results with, recently I augmented it with a PHK Nano Meco (using a solution similar to what you've listed here) and now I'm getting really good results.

IMO it is a false economy not to have a vacuum RCM.
    Quote Originally Posted by daytona600 View Post
    100% Agree if you value your records Marco a RCMs is a essential component
    i just bought one of these with 5 disc auto stacker
    for my own & clients records

Well there is a $4000 false economy right there!! No vaccuum, just fan dried .

In terms of a business buying one of those machines it becomes part of the PR " we use only the best, $4000 cleaning machines from KLAudio ! " because it builds on the PR and money alreadu spend promoting the KL Audio product and gaining a "reputation". Sadly that's the reality of a consumer market - they like to see brands with established reputations rather than any unknown make of equipment being used on their precious vinyl.

Aside from that though, as a product in itself.. I see that $4000 machine as the snake oil the thread's title is calling on.

Here, for example, is someone back in 2010 (before these multi-thousand dollar cleaners came to market) just dipping their vinyl in a regular $300 ultrasonic cleaner bath to suplement their normal vinyl cleaning method of a Knosti DiscoAntistat: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...ecords.235771/

In 2008 a Norwegian guy on DIYAudio.com came up with the idea of making an ultrasonic vinyl cleaner with the same rotary method - again long before there were any commercial products: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...d-cleaner.html

So a $200 - $300 ultrasonic cleaner is taken, fitted with a motor and a fan or two and then encased in a fancy box with thick, styled ali cladding... and suddenly it is a $4000 cleaner with folks like the guy in the video reacting by saying "fantastic invention!". I see that as pulling the wool over people's eyes and therefore akin to being Snake Oil.

What's the price to the UK? If a private individual were to buy one, I'd say it were a case of a fool and his money being easily parted.

I'm Sam.

A combo of a Knosti-style self-rotating brush thing into an ultrasonic bath with a DIY suction happy ending could possibly be the best vfm coupled with best methods.

From the begining of the thread, a wetting fluid will probably be something which gets rid of the surface tension of the cleaning fluid so that it gets into the smallest grooves, but in this instance one which leaves no traces behind (like washing up liquid might).

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    A nice attractive gizmo Rupert.

Thanks, Grunt.

I'm very pleased with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567