+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help needed to resurrect arcam delta 60........ Please :)

Location: Walsall, W Midlands, (an area of the country that doesn't seem to exist) England.

I'm Loz.

Thumbs up Help needed to resurrect arcam delta 60........ Please :)

Hi all
    I have amazingly found my old Arcam Delta 60 in my moms loft. I really thought it had got lost when my parents moved house a long time ago in the 90's!!! Its turned up in a big cardboard box that had been squashed by other paraphernalia in a dark corner

When it was packed away, it was working. When I found it, I noticed that the power cable was still pushed in the 3 pin socket but a lot of things had pressed on it and, inside the unit (when I took cover off) the socket had cracked but nothing else. I left the amp to warm up with NO POWER and to acclimatise. Whilst it was acclimatising, I noticed signs of rust on some of the screws, (no sign of water damage) obviously because of maybe damp atmosphere etc. I went round all switches etc with switch cleaner, I checked all internal fuses and they were good. After 2 days of acclimatising, I applied power; LED lit up, relay clicked and it everything seemed fine. I hooked up a CD player, and 2 speakers and no sound

I continued with cleaning contacts and switches etc and suddenly the R/H channel came to life I have continued with my strategy of switch cleaner but, as yet, I cant get the left channel to come to life

So, the obvious obligatory question, anyone give me any pointers, things to look for, suggestions etc.? I have a schematic but, (d/loaded off net) I am totally pants at electronics. If someone can tell me a few things to do with a multi-meter that can help me diagnose/cure the problem, I would seriously be eternally grateful. I really like that old amp - and even if it is an old unit, I really want it to work again so I can give it my son to use instead of what he uses now (which is really crap). PLEASE, OFFER HELP IN CHILD LIKE FORMAT AS I AM NOT PROFFICIENT IN ELECTRONICS. I DO HAVE A GOOD METER ON LOAN TO ME (FLUKE MULTI-METER).

HELP GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP........................ WHEN YA WANNA ROCK N ROLL !!!

Pioneer SA-9800, SG-9800, TX-9800, P-D70, PD-7500, TX-D1000, PL-12D, HPM-60, REL Quake.

Mission Cyrus II + PSX Transformer. Marantz CD-52 MkII Sp Edtn. Sony Mini-Disc MDS-JE530. Thorens TD-166MkII.
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2. Linn Index II + Ku-Stone Stands. REL Strata. Linn Interconnects throughout and Chord Flat Strand speaker cable.

Raspberry Pi / AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO Streamer.

I'm Alex.

Have you tried the different input sockets, e.g. Aux, CD, Tuner and Disc?
    Spendorman

Location: Walsall, W Midlands, (an area of the country that doesn't seem to exist) England.

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Have you tried the different input sockets, e.g. Aux, CD, Tuner and Disc?
    Yes, tried all. Same result.
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

Pioneer SA-9800, SG-9800, TX-9800, P-D70, PD-7500, TX-D1000, PL-12D, HPM-60, REL Quake.

Mission Cyrus II + PSX Transformer. Marantz CD-52 MkII Sp Edtn. Sony Mini-Disc MDS-JE530. Thorens TD-166MkII.
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2. Linn Index II + Ku-Stone Stands. REL Strata. Linn Interconnects throughout and Chord Flat Strand speaker cable.

I'm Alex.

Not familiar with this amp, if it's got a tape monitor button operate this a few times, perhaps some cleaner.
    Spendorman

I'm Alan.

Good suggestion Alex. It can often be just one(or more) that are faulty.

Loz, if you don't have any luck before December I will take a look at it for you when I am over.
    I am near Dudley when in the UK, and would like to meet up anyway as I like your style

Give me a shout closer to the time if you still need help.

Cheers,
    Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Alex.

I would be wary of connecting good speakers to an amp that is effectively unknown condition now. Possibility of the output stage putting DC thro speakers.

Perhaps use headphones if there is a socket, there will be some resistors in series with the headphone socket so protecting them
    Spendorman

I'm Loz.

Not familiar with this amp, if it's got a tape monitor button operate this a few times, perhaps some cleaner.
    Hi
    Its got 2 tape buttons (tape 1 and tape 2). I did notice that after cleaning the buttons, the sound on 1 channel came back on about a minute or so after. I need to get the cleaner inside to get to the contacts but, I cant find any small access holes that would facilitate that . Its the same for most of the buttons/pots (except volume control) so it may mean taking the board out so I can see if there are any holes underneath them that would allow cleaner to get in.

I'm Alex.

Some cleaners can dissolve some plastics. I have had good success with Servisol Super 10, it's a lubricant too.
    Spendorman

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Good suggestion Alex. It can often be just one(or more) that are faulty.

Loz, if you don't have any luck before December I will take a look at it for you when I am over.
    I am near Dudley when in the UK, and would like to meet up anyway as I like your style

Give me a shout closer to the time if you still need help.
    Cheers,
    Alan
    You like my style ................. I'm glad you do............... I'm not sure everybody else that I know would agree with you; they think I'm mad I did plug headphones in and sound only came out of one side of headphones. If its any use, the sound out of the one speaker sounds decent.

I'm Loz.

Some cleaners can dissolve some plastics. I have had good success with Servisol 10, it's a lubricant too.
    I do use Servisol for cleaning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast