+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mains Filters.

I'm Darren.

Default Mains Filters.

I recently picked this up:

Having heard the benefits of Marco's Tube Distinctions digital noise filter I was keen to give it a go. Finding it easier to see than hear changes the first piece of equipment I plugged in was the TV, this had a very positive effect with big improvements in detail, focus and depth with the picture becoming more vivid. Encouraged by this I plugged in the Oppo and played the same test scene's. Again this yielded similar improvements in detail, focus and depth with a further improvement in colour, greens are more green, blues are more blue etc... What was also obvious from the beginning of the first test scene was that the sound had changed, so after judging the changes to the picture I switched to some FBA from the Oppo. Most prominent was the change to the bass, whilst there is less bass it is tighter and more textured, a change I will happily trade for bass volume. I would say the improvement to the sound mirrors the improvement to the picture it has more detail, depth and most satisfactorily focus. I don't know whether focus is the right word but there is a marked improvement to the centre image, which as I sit ~750mm off centre tis very welcome.

My first experience of mains filters has been very positive, what are other members experience of mains filters (good or bad), any recommendations for budget or DIY mains filters for AV use?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Andrew.

I owned an Isotek Titan for a while and thought it added nothing to my system so I flogged it. I then went completely hatstand and bought the PS Audio P10 and now wouldn't be without it. Yes it's the other end of the spectrum with regards cost but it really does what it says on the tin. I notice that my system's soundstage (the 1210) suddenly looses focus and cohesion, bass is marginally down and micro detail starts to disappear. You could also try and buy some Ferrite coils off ebay, usually a few quid. I have them placed at the very beginning and very end of each power cord.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Darren.

I just looked up the P10, that really is the other end of the spectrum! Interesting findings though, do the same results apply with your Garrard?

I do plan on trying some ferrite coils on the mains leads, I'm trying different wires and configurations at the moment to see which works best with each piece of kit.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Darren - always good to get a tangible improvement with some tweaking!

The level of 'success', or otherwise, achieved by installing a mains filter, is down to three main factors:

1) What the filter in question has been designed to do - and how good it actually is at its job.

2) How dirty/noisy the mains is in your area, in the first place.

3) The type of components used in your system, and how much noise they chuck back into the mains supply, thereby 'contaminating' the other kit, powered from the same supply.

The Tube Distinctions unit I have is designed to tackle the latter (shielding my system components from the effects of 'digital switching noise'), and excels at 1) above.

The fact is, digital components and systems are (in general) intrinsically noisier than their analogue counterparts, mainly due to the clocks inside DACs, which when doing their job of converting digital data into an analogue signal, introduce 'switching noise' onto the mains, which in turn 'contaminates' (with that noise) the other components in the chain. That is what the TD digital noise filter I use is designed to eliminate, by filtering that noise to mains earth, instead of allowing it back onto the mains supply, to be picked up by the rest of the system.

It's highly effective, and works completely differently from other units that are designed simply to filter and/or regenerate the whole mains supply, and in turn (in many cases) notably increase impedance, which is not a good thing. Therefore, the fundamental sonic effectiveness of any such 'all-in-one' filter/mains regenerator will depend on whether the effect of cleaning up a dirty/noisy mains supply outweighs the negative effect of increasing the impedance on said mains supply, which ALL filters/mains regenerators do, to a greater or lesser degree.

That is why their efficacy (or otherwise) is reported differently by those who use them.

The other thing that makes digital systems (and components) in general noisier is the fact that most of them employ the use of switch-mode PSUs, often of poor quality, instead of properly designed linear PSUs, which is why paying proper attention not only to how the digital equipment you buy has been built, but also how you connect it to your mains supply, is vitally important if you want to get the best sound.

In that respect, digital equipment, when possible, should always be powered from a separate mains spur, or at least plugged into a separate mains block from your other kit, in order to isolate (to some degree) the other components in the system from the noise that it generates.

Anyway, enjoy your new improved sounding music!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I should add that if anyone is interested in purchasing a TD digital noise filter, that they are being distributed by Mark Grant Cables, so contact Mark on here for more details

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Darren.

Thanks Marco, an interesting and informative post .
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

No worries, dude. It's an area of audio where I've done much experimenting!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    I just looked up the P10, that really is the other end of the spectrum! Interesting findings though, do the same results apply with your Garrard?

I do plan on trying some ferrite coils on the mains leads, I'm trying different wires and configurations at the moment to see which works best with each piece of kit.
    I've not used the 301 on the P10 yet as its at the other side of the room and I cant be arsed re-wiring everything. I will be having a little room reorganising and intend having the 1210 and 301 next door to each other so the 301 will have access to the P10.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

My experience is that the filter components must have a high current rating. The 6A rated Roxburgh filters I use are only used with one source each and I have a memory of a HFN article where Ben Duncan (I think it was) did some tests and found that a filter rated at ten times the component it was used with, offered little resistance to sudden current demands (I think I have this right).

Where we used to live, the above filters helped no end. Living on the coast, our mains in town is pretty clean and they make little to no difference, although I still use them on digital sources.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Darren.

Are these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roxburgh-E...m3aae7dc706the the Roxburgh filters you're referring to David?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

+ Reply to Thread