+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IMF TLS Transmission Line Loudspeakers

I'm Martin.

Default IMF TLS Transmission Line Loudspeakers

I've been living with these speakers for a few days now and have put a fair few hours on them already. That has not been difficult since they have that rare quality of being very easy on the ear without sounding dull or rolled-off in any way.

Here is a picture (which I pinched from Geoff's sale thread as it is better than anything I could take):

For those unfamiliar with the transmission line, the idea is to take the rear wave from the driver and run it down an infinitely long line until it dissipates. For practical purposes an infinite line is impossible so the idea here is to attenuate higher frequencies from the rear wave progressively and output what is left, in phase, from the vents at the bottom of the front baffle, thus augmenting the bass response.

Here is a link to a more detailed description of the speaker:

http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/.../studios/tls50

You may also want to check out the IMF Transmission Line Babe Contest here: http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/...e-babe-contest

I could blab on about the sound of these speakers - and I will - but this quote from the user manual pretty much sums them up:

The IMF 'TLS' are advanced versions of the transmission line reproducer which was developed some years ago to aid in laboratory research. They incorporate the latest and most refined drive systems enclosed in new and radically re-designed transmission lines. These speakers are for use with the best equipment. A 'TLS' is a sophisticated speaker; its virtues will not be apparent to the novitiate who will want something more obvious. lt will be most appreciated by the cognoscenti.

The sound is polite and sophisticated but still draws you in. I did notice on some material that I thought some low level detail was a bit smothered - I suppose this is a price you pay for low efficiency, but it is not a serious enough issue to be a deal-breaker, and my reaction to this will be heightened having been using very high efficiency speakers for the last year and a half. Without the transmission line loading you would have a pair of very sophisticated 4 way bridge monitors. But all that cabinet under the driver array is there for a reason so let's move on to the transmission line bass.

The first thing you notice is that it is not at all big or overblown. Matching speakers to a room, especially big speakers, is a fundamental basic in the quest to get a good sound. No amount of cable or box swapping will cure a bad speaker/room match. I can imagine these speakers close to a wall in a small room just sounding way too 'heavy' and 'leaden' - fortunately I am able to place them well out into space (about 8' from the rear wall) so no issues there. In fact I would say it is pretty much ideal for them.

Play some rock music and you get a pleasing bit of weight to the bass, even with a dry recording, whilst thin recordings are fleshed out just a little. This isn't stunt bass from a port or an artificially accentuated mid-bass, though, it is just a low end 'presence' that does not really appear to come from the speakers themselves. There is just no effort to it. I am reminded of the big JBLs I heard recently at the Cranage Hall show. Don't get me wrong these are not as good as that but they have that same effortless quality in the bass that only a big speaker tuned to go properly low can do. Plus I am not getting any room boom problems like they had at Cranage

Indeed nothing I could play set them off in the bass like that. Stick on a bouncy rock/pop record like The Pretenders 'Don't get me wrong' and the bass line romps along, no lag or unevenness at all. Put on something with serious LF content such as Black Grape's 'It's Great When Your Straight' and be amazed - at the end of this album there is a sub sonic bass pulse, a bit like the heartbeat on DSOTM. The only speakers I have owned that could have a stab at reproducing this was the Celestion A2, which made it a bit of a drone rather than a pulse. But these IMFs absolutely nail it - it energises the room. Very impressive indeed.

However it was on this same album that I caught the speaker's Achilles heel. At the end of one track there is a deep synth bass line with a bass guitar above it playing a repeated, descending riff which is quite vital to the rhythmic cohesiveness of the track. This was buried in the synth bass line when it should be audible above it. Indeed knowing this track well I was listening for it subconsciously and then noticed that my mind was filling it in as it was barely audible. Only on the fade did it emerge.

So not perfect, then but hey! what speaker is? Comments and contributions welcome, especially from other IMF/TDL owners or former owners, I would be interested in your experiences.
    Last edited by Macca; 27-09-2015 at 11:00.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Have you played around with cables at all Martin. Including interconnects. What suited the Akais may not be the same for the IMFs. I find cable choices are definitely influential on the overall balance and this is very noticeable with a change of speakers.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I try to avoid playing with cables if I can help it. The interconnects are NVA and I have found from extensive (and I mean extensive) trials that it is best to use the NVA interconnects with the NVA passive pre.

Speaker cable is a different matter. I'm using Chord Odyssey 2 at the moment, what might be a better option?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I try to avoid playing with cables if I can help it. The interconnects are NVA and I have found from extensive (and I mean extensive) trials that it is best to use the NVA interconnects with the NVA passive pre.

Speaker cable is a different matter. I'm using Chord Odyssey 2 at the moment, what might be a better option?
    I take your point regarding the NVA cable with NVA amplification. But source to pre is always worth trying options with. My preference here being pure copper avoiding silver plated stuff, which can add a 'sheen' or even a coarseness. Not always the case though.

As for speaker cables, there's no limit to the varying balances they offer in their effect on the sound. They do vary a lot. Try and borrow some for comparisons. I can't comment on the Chord, as I've not tried that (even though I've used an awful lot of different cables).

I've got a spare 2.5m pair of QED Genesis Sliver Spiral knocking about that you can have if you want something to experiment with. They have odd plugs on one end that makes no difference to the sound that I can hear. They're very lucid cables. I've got about ten pairs of different speaker cables and won't be using these in the current setup. I got them from Rob (puffin).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Thanks for the offer but I would need 4 metres a side, ideally a bit more.

In any case I am pretty satisfied with the sound as it is. Next change will be to try the new Firebottle amp once Alan has knocked it up.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alan.

...'knocked it up'... you cheeky beggar

Love and commitment go into my builds I'll have you know

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

Yes indeed. That should have been 'banged together'!

I'm Mike.

Bit of thread resurrection here, but would they be any good in a room approx 14.5ft x 13.5ft, suspended wooden floors with heavy wood laminate and a rug up top.

Speakers would be firing down the length of the room with rear wall behind being brick and thermal block inner.

I know my wife will absolutely hate them but it's a reasonably cheap experiment IF they are ok in the room of course.

😀

I'm Martin.

I think that might be a bit too small a space, Mike. The bass energy has to be heard to be believed. You'd be okay until you played something that set off a low bass node then you'd realise it was a mistake. My room is big, more than twice yours, and open plan to upstairs but they can still energise the whole space in a serious way. I suppose if you keep the levels down you might get away with it. I like it blasting out.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Inclined to agree with Martin. These things can go seriously deep, and sound awful in wrong area
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast