+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric's DIY Audio Projects

I'm Geoff.

Lovely job Eric.

(don't think we have any Bose fans here . Mind you, I did like the first 901 speakers from over forty years ago)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Eric, even more from me, winding your own inductors.

Sounds like you know what you like, fantastic job
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Eric.

Thanks for sharing your kind thoughts, everyone. It's surprising what an interest in DIY coupled with a pinch of OCD can achieve All in all, these project span about a decade or so.

I'm Steve.

That looks amazing. Hats off to you good sir.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Eric, even more from me, winding your own inductors.

Sounds like you know what you like, fantastic job
    I've done that. Which is why I buy them! Good man.
    But I'm fascinated by the home theatre thing, as I'm not interested in films at home. I have DVDs I've been given for birthdays and never even unwrapped them! But then some people aren't bothered about music.
    ABD.

I'm Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    I've done that. Which is why I buy them!
    Ha - There are two forces at work here. The larger of these two forces was looking at $400 for ready-made inductors or $150 for wire plus a coil winder The irony of the situation was that I was sitting on the couch winding my coils while my wife and I were watching an interview on TV where the interviewee was bemoaning the problem that no one makes anything anymore...

I'm Eric.

Here are some details on my surround speakers. They use the same midbass unit as the open baffles: Hivi M8A. The tweeter is a Focal TC120TD5. Here is a closeup of the completed speaker (without the felt on the front baffle):

Where would DIY be without Baltic Birch ply?

And the glue up (darn those slanted angles!):

All sides are double laminate of Baltic Birch and MDF:

The front baffle is made from three layers:

And with the crossover networks installed. sorry, no DIY coils on this one.

A final touch was to brace the front baffle to the rear panel for additional vibration control:

The additional layers for the side panels were installed on the outside of the cabinet and colored to match the front speakers:

The finished speaker was stuffed with lambs wool before the drivers were installed. These are incredibly stiff and heavy cabinets!

The completed speaker is just about one cubic foot in volume, stands about 19" tall, 11" wide and weighs in at about 55 lbs. The angled design allows it to be hung on the wall so the tweeters aims down toward the listening place and makes the bottom more recessed so no one bangs their head as they walk by. Two of them hang on keyhole hangers directly mounted to the stud (major pain to get them mounted!), and the other two are mounted on a header that spans two wall studs for proper placement. There is no baffle step in the crossover since they hang on the wall. Bass is clearly not their strong point, but they are superb for surround sound duty.
    Last edited by EricS; 29-09-2015 at 01:08.

I'm Peter.

Very nice.
    As the French say ... chapeau

I'm Eric.

Here are some details on my infinite baffle subwoofer. This bad boy is the real star of the show for action movies! It consists of four Tempest-X 15" drivers (technology from the now defunct Adire Audio) driven by a ~1000w Behringer amp. Each driver has a one-way X-Max of about 27mm, so the sub can displace about 16L of air at full stroke.

I constructed two wooden manifolds that open into the theater at the bottom of the screen and flank the center speaker. In the first picture I posted in this thread, you can see the wooden grille cloth stretcher frames on the wall behind the center speaker.

Here is another shot "down the throat":

The drivers face one another and the air exits the throat into the theater. Construction is the old stand by of Baltic Birch and MDF. I mounted a 2x2 crossbar to help keep the sides of the manifold from flexing and resonating too much.

Here are the twins before the drivers are installed:

Installing the drivers makes each manifold weigh over 110 lbs. It was a major pain to drag them into the other room and get them properly placed in the cutouts I prepared. Each manifold is lagged to a vertical wall stud and to the supporting shelf on the other side of the wall. Because the movement of the drivers oppose one another, the forces cancel and the manifold structure itself is vibration free during even the most intense scenes. The rest of the house is not quite so lucky

The drivers have dual voice coils that are wired in parallel and the two drivers in each manifold are then wired in series. Thus, each pair of drivers presents an 8ohm load to the amp and receives just about 500w of power.

Here is another shot of the frame I created to cover the hole I cut in the wall to install the sub:

And, finally, a waterfall plot of the response after a little parametric EQ was applied to tame some of the peaks in room response:

The left side of the graph does not show all that this sub is capable of. Overall output easily hits 120dB at the listening seat and peaks at about 10Hz (room mode) and is just as strong at 7Hz as it is at 20Hz. I was simply awestruck the first time I fired it up after getting things dialed in! Good bass effects make your hair move - something I've never felt before I finished this sub! Movies take on a whole new visceral dimension. I'll post some details on the DIY amps next time around.
    Last edited by EricS; 01-10-2015 at 12:16.

I'm brian.

What times the first performance ? Very nice

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast