+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldpoint SA4M-47 passive 'preamp' winging its way to Marco Towers...

I'm inthescottishmafia.

And an AVC..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    And an AVC..
    Is that an "attenuator volume control", or an "autoformer volume control"?
    Barry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The latter. I'm using these-

http://www.intactaudio.com/atten.html
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Interesting stuff, Ali... I think it's going to be a good preamp bake-off at the next NEBO. In my corner, I'll bring the Croft, the Goldpoint and LDR. I always find these comparisons act as a valuable learning curve, as well as being good fun!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye, looking forward to it.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    The latter. I'm using these-

http://www.intactaudio.com/atten.html
    Yes. I've had a look at those. Quite tempted, even though I've ordered a batch of LDRs to play with.

I reckon your pre may cause a bit of a stir Ali.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I reckon so too, although in reality, it'll largely be about what matches the partnering power amp (and system) best on the day.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep, they need lowish output impedance from sources to give of their best.

Hunter S Thompson

Shipped yesterday, so she's on her way!

Marco.
    Main System

Cool Goldpoint SA4M-47 has landed at Marco Towers.......

Well, she's here!

First impressions are very positive, as the SA4M-47 has a wonderfully wide-open, detailed and lucid sound, with plenty of drive and 'attack', but also 'relaxed' and easy on the ear, with zero listening fatigue factor. It seems to have a very well-judged sonic balance, or perhaps it's just extremely transparent and showing precisely what my source components sound like?

Anyway, I'm going to let the unit run in for a few days (to allow the resistors to burn-in fully), and play around with the feedback settings on my Copper amp. I suspect that there's some mileage to be had there in terms of optimising things further, before forming any conclusive opinions, as I can hear the sound opening up more and more as I listen.

One thing I have to say is that the build quality (fit and finish) on the Goldpoint is in the highest rank and worthy of that found on far more expensive devices. It really is a lovely thing. Furthermore, the stepped attenuators are silky smooth and feel very 'positive' in use.

So far so good! More later, muchachos, as I get properly used to what it's doing in my system

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast