+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dalesford D speakers

I'm Alex.

Default Dalesford D speakers

Does anyone remember these, if so I would be interested to hear opinions.

My friend brought round a single one of these on Saturday.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Thanks, I had seen that, there does not seem to be much else on the internet about them.
    Spendorman

I'm Martyn.

I sold a pair of drive units to someone who owns a pair of Dalesford 'Ds'.
    He rates them very highly, and also praises the transparency of the Dalesford Bextrene drive units.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    I sold a pair of drive units to someone who owns a pair of Dalesford 'Ds'.
    He rates them very highly, and also praises the transparency of the Dalesford Bextrene drive units.
    We are talking about the same person! He has lent me one of his pair and a half.

Your units were not the same as in the Ds, I think he mentioned that.

My opinion of the Ds so far is very favourable, comparing them to LS3/6, LS3/5a and JR149.
    Spendorman

I'm Malcolm.

I have had a pair of Dalesford D speakers since about 1976. I have been quite satisfied with the sound. If I compare them with Celestion DL4 the bass is a little more extended and the ambience less clinical. It was remarked in the press at that time that the mid frequencies were a little 'muddy' leading to less precise locations on the 'sound stage'. Studying the crossover reveals that the ferrite cored inductors are sited close together and less than optimal orientation. I extended the leads on mine so that there was a larger air gap between them. All clean, mud gone.

Cosmetically the walnut veneer has suffered on mine over the years, the acoustic foam crumbled and was replaced. The real annoyance is the small screw connectors which may be fine for bell wire but are a pain for 30A speaker wire. There lies the reason to use DL4's on my most used system.

Other than that, a nice speaker that is a welcome change from the common cube.

+ Reply to Thread