+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Think we're gonna need a bigger boat...

I'm Geoff.

Nice system. I like that table/stand thingie. The whole lot looks very smart.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm martin.

Lovely lit up pics as requested, now to do some toast in front of them.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm Brian.

Nah , full English Martin
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Gary.

Thanks for posting your thoughts Brian, great wee afternoon even though I didn't have any biscuits for our tea.
    Yeah..this big box of copper glass and wood is something special.

300B Set doesn't do rock music?
    Sounds like a massive solid state amp in the bass, tight deep and punchy as hell.
    Spun Porcupine Tree yesterday at a neighbour worrying volume, bass and kickdrum pinned you to the back wall.
    Amazing!

Cant get the volume past 10 o'clock before the windows start rattling...
    All of this from 8 watts per channel

What was interesting was that we finally heard how good Brians Klotz MC5000/MS Audio cables actually were?
    I was using my "best cable" between Power amp and Pre, a far more expensive...uhm...controversial commercial cable to connect them.

In comparison the Klotz is a more neutral transparent cable and doesn't add anything to whats being played.
    When swapping between the two it was like the expensive cable added a "loudness control" and was less of an enjoyable listen. More digital and processed sounding we thought.
    All about synergy of course, I had always preferred it in my previous setup to the Klotz,(using the wee Mini-1 as a poweramp) but with the new "open window" valve amp in place it let us hear just how the cables actually were.

Poweramp comparison: surprisingly the sound changed quite a bit...

Cant wait to hear this beast with a few hundred hours under its belt.
    Aside from (maybe) a tonearm upgrade later in the year...
    I'm done with the kit.

Just enjoying the music now.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Neil.

Looking very nice Garry

Regards Neil

I'm Alan.

Default Ooh nice!

Wouldn't mind an internals shot Gaz, but maybe you don't want to go that far.

Looks the biz anyway, nice big output traffos
    Last edited by Firebottle; 23-09-2015 at 11:29. Reason: Spelling
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Gary.

It's AE amorphous trannies Alan.
    Zero problems with with huge dynamic swings at any volume..some massive heft!

not a valve amp tinkerer so staying well clear!!!
    Last edited by Gazjam; 23-09-2015 at 11:49.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Brilliant stuff, Gaz. With the right speakers, 8W of valve lurveliness [especially in a properly designed amp like that], is as they say, perfectly 'adequate'!

I'm not surprised in the slightest at what you've described you're hearing, as I've heard that effect many times with valves (beguiling grace and control), not least also in terms of what I get at home with my own 'glowy' set-up. Apart from achieving window-rattling levels of unflappable loudness, you should also be able to listen at whisper levels late at night, and still hear that every nuance in the music is intact and sounds 'out of the box'.

I've never heard any SS amp do the same trick that valves can, in that respect, in terms of achieving such levels of clarity/expressiveness and musical 'presence'. Therefore, although you can crank it up and put a big grin on yer chops, you won't need to do so, in order to make the music (or your speakers) come alive - and that's what I love about valves, when done properly!

For me, the high-efficiency speakers, coupled with low/lowish tube power route, is the way to go. Not cheap to do properly, granted, but when you get it right, music has an expansiveness and sheer communicativeness/fun-factor than no low-efficiency speakers, driven by a huge behemoth SS amp set-up I've heard, can do. The latter approach, for me, is simply too compromised and 'arse about face'.

So, spill the beans, which "controversial commercial cable" are we talking about that the MC5000s ousted - Slic??

Vastly overpriced/viral-marketed pish, IMO That fact becomes obvious when you use it in a system that doesn't need its 'sound tailoring effect', which is why the 'open window' you've got going on now responds far better to cables that just allow the music to flow freely, rather than being impeded by the effect of a glorified filter.

Anyway, enjoy! If you're around mid-October (as I'll be up in Scotland then), I'll pop by and have a wee listen-ette

Marco.

P.S I must've missed it, but what are you using as a preamp?
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

Densen DM20, come on Marco keep up

OK I'll let you off this time, with all the posts you have to read
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed, lol! How could I forget those big knobs....

Gary's set-up I suspect might be crying out now for a nice passive... Depends on whether he wants to go there or not

Ma
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast