+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 200 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What will people use when support for Windows 7 ends in 2020? I don't like or want W10 (which will probably have been 'upgraded' beyond recognition by then). I wonder if third party software providers will step in and offer options to keep W7 alive and safe to use. After all, there are plenty of people still using XP.
    If your security is ok and you dont do silly things then it should be safe enough. A lot of folk dont take updates but get by fine.
    Im going to try Xp on my old one lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

I still have XP on the machine that I using at this moment. There are the occasional small problems as various programs withdraw support for XP. There is nearly always an alternative though.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

When you install XP, the included Internet Explorer is so old it refuses to work. So if you don't have a suitable browser on a memory stick or similar to bung on there, you can't get online to download any other essential software.

SRIronware portable browser works. Kingsoft anti virus works. At least they did last time I tried.

I have a copy of Threatfire A/V on a stick. It was offered by PCTools which is part of Symantec I think a while back and is behaviour based, so never really needs updates. It just blocks odd PC behaviour. Not sure if a download can still be found. I used it for a couple of years with no bother.

OneClick Spyware Expert works with XP and all others up to W10. Very effective.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Cant find the laptop... Very odd. Its not where it should be or even where it shouldnt lol. I was going to fling it out but i hadnt so far....maybe it got up and left in the huff lol
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

It's running away from W10
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

If anybody wants to use XP, they really need Service Pack 3 to go with it. It can be bought cheaply on disc from eBay. I have a copy and a spare XP.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Ive got a disc plus a disc with drivers for this pc...they have mysteriously vanished too. This is odd... The pixies must have been there b4 me
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Have you had any visitors?

I recently has some stuff stolen here, a Fuji camera and strangely, a Cambridge P?? amplifier. Most likely a guy and two assistants that came to look at repairing the house roof. Came inside to see the damp.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If anybody wants to use XP, they really need Service Pack 3 to go with it. It can be bought cheaply on disc from eBay. I have a copy and a spare XP.
    SP3 available on torrents, if I'm allowed to say that.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Kelly's-Korner-XP tweaks was an incredibly useful site. I disappeared a while ago, but just found an archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140122.../xp_tweaks.htm
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread