+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 200 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

My turn for a disaster Mains tripped when linux was updating grub ithink... Now cant get anything bar a cursor with grub..... Wont boot from cd either
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    My turn for a disaster Mains tripped when linux was updating grub ithink... Now cant get anything bar a cursor with grub..... Wont boot from cd either
    That is odd, should boot from CD, might indicate a hardware problem. How about booting from a Linux stick?
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Dont have one but checked boot order and cd is first... Said to press tab for the first word. It gives command completions... About a hundred different ones?
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Dont have one but checked boot order and cd is first... Said to press tab for the first word. It gives command completions... About a hundred different ones?
    Make one, I create one with a Windows machine. Just need a USB stick, say 4GB or bigger, the ISO file and Universal USB Installer http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

May sound obvious, but is the disc clean? I've been caught by this before.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Ive checked the legacy bitcand its enabled... It was booting before from disc. Now it wont

Wonder if disc is knackered?
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Ive checked the legacy bitcand its enabled... It was booting before from disc. Now it wont

Wonder if disc is knackered?
    Can happen, I've found that booting from optical disc can be problematic.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Hum... This is odd.. Wont boot any cd. Keeps defaulting to the main ubantu drives

This could take some years
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Hum... This is odd.. Wont boot any cd. Keeps defaulting to the main ubantu drives

This could take some years
    Optical drive failed, SATA cable come off perhaps.

A few weeks ago my desktop machine would not boot from optical drive. Why? I had disconnected the SATA cable. Silly old fool. Took me a little while to suss.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Ok ive got it to boot on disk... It had an extra page of options that were not being changed..had to do it manually
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread