+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 200 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Gary.

Malwarebytes, Ccleaner and canny use of windows firewall is all you need imo.
    Run those on a schedule along with AntiVirus of choice and your sorted.

Good freeware and bad, this is ALL good.
    https://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm
    This guy has forgot more about internet security than most of us will even know.
    Check too his online utilities such as ShieldsUp firewall tester...all good.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

Check out the Comodo Security Suite. It does it all.

Yes, include CCleaner to optimise performance and away you go.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Barry.

In my opinion the most inportant software to have on your computer is a image backup program. At the moment I use AX64 Time Machine for daily backups and AOMEI Backupper for weekly backups, if I have any computer problems I just revert to a earlier image. Got me out of the s**t numerous times over the years.
    Last edited by Kit1cat; 23-09-2015 at 08:37.

I'm Geoff.

Quite chuffed actually.

My cheap Dell OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium arrived yesterday, so I've been setting up my new (old) Acer Veriton X480G PC, which I bought with no O/S installed. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3114470071...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Everything went smoothly. The Windows 7 has been activated and the PC is working beautifully. Very quiet and fast too.

Took me a while to install my usual raft of free software apps & utilities (yes always free stuff. Why pay when good free stuff works so well?). I might bung a Chrome based browser on. I.E. gets on my wick a bit.

Quite funny having a Dell logo popping up on an Acer PC. Got rid of that. Just got to glue the replacement (recycled) product key sticker on the case and I'm basically done.

Anyway. The whole lot stands me in at £77.98. Damn cheap for a PC this decent.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Have you seen this? http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...e-just-in-case

Looks like Microsoft is putting Windows 10 on your computer whether you like it or not!!

The reviews of W10 on download.com don't inspire confidence: http://download.cnet.com/Windows-10/...-76271011.html

One raises an interesting point. Not being able to reinstall Windows 7 once W10 has been installed. I believe the O/S product key, instead of just coming as a sticker, is now a code stashed away in the bios, perhaps it also includes a downgrade blocker.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 05-10-2015 at 09:42.

I'm Grant.

Im not recieving updates as i kinda expected this. Its typical of their mindset. Someone needs to make another operatingcsystem that is easy for dolrs to install.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

Looks like Microsoft is putting Windows 10 on your computer whether you like it or not!!

The reviews of W10 on download.com don't inspire confidence: http://download.cnet.com/Windows-10/...-76271011.html

One raises an interesting point. Not being able to reinstall Windows 7 once W10 has been installed. I believe the O/S product key, instead of just coming as a sticker, is now a code stashed away in the bios, perhaps it also includes a downgrade blocker.
    PS.. You can check for this on your pc and eradicate it. Its a little convoluted depending on whether they have started to fill you up but there is a fair chance that you will have the worm already in the system. I can walk you through it if needed

Edit. It is worth checking for the worm in recent updates.. its code is..."kb3035583" as the open gate to add win 10 files..... a hidden file in windows "$windows-BT" is where they load up the files. this can screw up your pc by uploading as much as 6 gb of info and slowing you pc and broadband(and can put you over you allowance if you have one)
    Last edited by struth; 05-10-2015 at 23:35.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

A few days ago, an elderly , over 80, neighbour complained to me that her W7 laptop had a strange picture on the desktop and things looked different.

She brought it here and it had been "upgraded" to W10. She had no recollection of doing this. The laptop was a bit sluggish, and I did not like the feel and look of W10, but did not really give it much of a chance. I rolled it back to W7, apparently one can do this within a month of the "upgrade".
    Last edited by spendorman; 06-10-2015 at 09:42.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    PS.. You can check for this on your pc and eradicate it. Its a little convoluted depending on whether they have started to fill you up but there is a fair chance that you will have the worm already in the system. I can walk you through it if needed

Edit. It is worth checking for the worm in recent updates.. its code is..."kb3035583" as the open gate to add win 10 files..... a hidden file in windows "$windows-BT" is where they load up the files. this can screw up your pc by uploading as much as 6 gb of info and slowing you pc and broadband(and can put you over you allowance if you have one)
    I will bump this as Ive added info
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Just got very fed up with Internet Explorer 11 since my recent O/S reinstall. It's an ugly, awkward and slow browser.

I usually install 'Chromodo' from Comodo, which works very nicely.

Just for a change I've installed 'Maxthon', which I'd not tried for a few years. Wow! This is a really nice browser. The customiseable appearance is handy, it's much quicker than I.E.11 and I like being able to open new tabs with a click on the favourites bar, not all browsers allow that. Also, it seems very well sorted, everything works as it should, no glitches or missing plug-ins. Nice and easy to set up as I like it with a bit of poking about. I might keep this one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 200 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast