+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 200 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Nope!
    Have you tried flashing the BIOS? My Acer Aspire one was completely dead, flashed the BIOS and it came back from the dead
    Spendorman

I'm Jez.

I haven't got past the "oh fuck that looks like it's probably an ex-computer" stage

I'm Geoff.

If it won't fire up. You can't 'flash' anything (apart from that nice girl in the park, but that's naughty ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Hi Grant
    79 is not critical mass she's about to blow territory

Try terminal sensors again, and monitor it for 10 mins
    to see if temperature does indeed rise

This is what my mintbox provides, it is in a very cool location
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +64.3°C (crit = +115.0°C)

radeon-pci-0008
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    temp1: +67.0°C (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    temp1: +64.4°C (high = +70.0°C)
    (crit = +100.0°C, hyst = +97.0°C)

I am looking further for you, can you enter bios using f2 when booting ?

Cheers / Chris

I'm Chris.

Hi Grant
    A programme called psensor installed from software manager
    will give you direct readout of temperature, it will report straight away if it is continually rising.

can you run that and report back

Cheers / Chris.

I'm Chris.

Hi Grant
    Some practical steps to keep it cool, like raising the
    bottom of the computer with feet , and arranging a
    small fan to blow air through, is certainly advisable
    until we can find a solution. Just lifting a laptop away
    from directly touching surfaces, reduces temp and a fan
    would reduce to quite safe levels.

A computer shop or electronics shop or even recyclers
    will have small fans that run off 12v DC.

But a software answer is going to be more pleasing.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Grant.

Hi chris.. I will run that when i get a mimute. Thanks... Yes i am gonna put it on a stand with fans to help.. It wenttfrom base chexk of 52c to 70/80 c in 10/15. Mins atca guess. That prog will be a big help. As i said ive ordered another fan just in case.

Will report back when ive had a chance to run it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Ok got that installed temp 1 is all 0's
    Core started initially at 32c on the terminal. Now shows at 45c max 48c...this is with the cooling panel under it. So it seems stable at idle.
    Cp usage maxed att59% but idling at 4%.
    No graphs currently enabled...

Will leave it running
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

That cooling tray really seems to work. Never got over 71c
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post

That cooling tray really seems to work. Never got over 71c
    Hi Grant
    Temperatures are looking good, My laptop resting on a armchair gets to 63 degrees, my mintbox gets to
    70, but your mid 50's are really good.

Your CPU figure is also giving us a clue, that memory is low, or not
    using swap space. possibly this may be why cpu is running
    a bit harder than it should and generating heat.

Have a look at System Monitor its in the administration icon in the Menu
    select that, and look at the resources tab. Swap space and memory being used
    can be looked at there.

gparted in software manager is a very good and powerful program for allocating space.
    and we may need to find some space for swap if swap space is absent. Ideally doing so without
    changing the size of existing partitions, so we need to look for any free space unallocated.

There is a guide for manual partitioning - leaning on gparted but using Mint's own
    graphic user interface here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=122276
    I am just trying to see how much swap is allocated without any manual intervention.
    This forum comment applicable to version 17.2 might be useful if swap space is playing up.
    . https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/c...s_and_wonders/

Cheers / Chris

+ Reply to Thread