+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 125 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

Never used a mac, but of all the windows systems Ive had I have never had to reinstall. I dont doubt Macs are very good once you get used to them but if used correctly and with some decent security you shouldnt pick up much in way of virus's unless you go to some nasty places. Mind you after saying that, I dont drift too far off my beaten path very often, so I may just be lucky
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.6- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 & HEAVILY MODDED MF X10v3. BERESFORD SWITCHBOX. - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES, KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - TANDBERG TCD310 - CARTS.. AT95 Shibata, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Never used a mac, but of all the windows systems Ive had I have never had to reinstall. I dont doubt Macs are very good once you get used to them but if used correctly and with some decent security you shouldnt pick up much in way of virus's unless you go to some nasty places. Mind you after saying that, I dont drift too far off my beaten path very often, so I may just be lucky
    Grant I think you have been very lucky not to have needed a reinstall of the operating system. However I bet you also have more than one anti virus software to try and protect you

The transition to Apple OSX is very straightforward and once you get a 'handle' on the operating system, which takes just a couple of days, it is a breeze and a joy to use and you will wonder how you ever did without it..

Pioneer DV-717 x 2 or Pioneer PD-S505 Precision (Tom Evans Tuned) or Marantz CD50 SE or Arcam DV79 Through: SLIC Innovations Digi Coax To: Audio Note Dac One 1x Signature Through: SLIC Innovations Eclipse C RCA To: Audio Note Oto SE Through:TQ Ultra Black Speaker Cable To: Rega RS3's or Living Voice Auditoriums

Be nice to people, you MAY get some of it back when you need it most....

"Smile, it's free therapy"
    "This week I will mostly be listening to music"

I'm Loz.

I have to admit, Windows can be a bit of a PITA !!! My son has a iMac and its absolutely great - never a problem. I have a Linux computer aswell as a Windows PC and, to be fair, the Linux machine is very good - boots up real quick, never really has any issues etc but, I wish I understood how to operate it better - its not quite so user friendly as Windows (probably due to the fact that I'm not so familiar with it after 25 years of using Windows)
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP........................ WHEN YA WANNA ROCK N ROLL !!!

I'm Grant.

I ve had a lifetime licence with malwarebytes for years as I have with winpatrol. they both do excellent work.I also have avast free.
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.6- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 & HEAVILY MODDED MF X10v3. BERESFORD SWITCHBOX. - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES, KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - TANDBERG TCD310 - CARTS.. AT95 Shibata, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

I'm Geoff.

My PC has regular catastrophic system breakdowns and malware infections ('cos I like buggering about with it ). I reinstall W7 every few months anyway. No big deal.

Installed ToolWiz Cares tonight on both PCs. It's an example of the many 'one click' do it all maintenance utilities. I prefer it to the popular Glary Utilities, as it works well and doesn't try to keep selling you upgraded versions.

But that's not the reason I've installed it. It features 'Time Freeze', which locks the PC in the present configuration, so no bugs can alter anything! The PC is rendered completely safe from infection. It's a bit like a 'white list' in effect I suppose. You do have to occasionally turn it off for some functions, such as updates.

I have tried it before and found it effective and I experienced no problems. Oh and it's free.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Loz.

I ve had a lifetime licence with malwarebytes for years as I have with winpatrol. they both do excellent work.I also have avast free.
    Yes, I've used all except Winpatrol but, I have to say that Avast free tends to slow things up on boot up !!! Boot up stagnates for about 3 mins or so and then its OK; I know its Avast free because it never did it till I installed that. I also use Spybot Search & Destroy for malware etc (its free aswell) and its very good.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis
    Installed ToolWiz Cares tonight on both PCs. It's an example of the many 'one click' do it all maintenance utilities. I prefer it to the popular Glary Utilities, as it works well and doesn't try to keep selling you upgraded versions.

But that's not the reason I've installed it. It features 'Time Freeze', which locks the PC in the present configuration, so no bugs can alter anything! The PC is rendered completely safe from infection. It's a bit like a 'white list' in effect I suppose. You do have to occasionally turn it off for some functions, such as updates.

I have tried it before and found it effective and I experienced no problems. Oh and it's free.
    I like the sound of that !!!
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

I'm Geoff.

I use Malwarebytes if I get a problem. Winpatrol is always on my PCs. As for A/V etc., I use this: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet...t-security.php

It's extremely comprehensive and works very well.

The only other free security suite that comes close that I've found is Baidu Antivirus 2015 which is also very comprehensive. Beautiful product to use, as is their browser.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Us-&-Them View Post
    I also use Spybot Search & Destroy for malware etc (its free aswell) and its very good.
    Used that many times. It misses stuff.
    Mr. Tact!

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Used that many times. It misses stuff.
    I agree, thats why I've got Avast and Malwarebytes running at the same time on the same PC aswell

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    My PC has regular catastrophic system breakdowns and malware infections ('cos I like buggering about with it ). I reinstall W7 every few months anyway. No big deal.

Geoff if you went to an Apple OSX device, however cheap, you won't ever need to 'bugger' about with it... they just work properly all of the time

I also used to 'bugger' about with Windows based machines, as I knew I could... and I wondered if I would ever get along with OSX as it meant I probably couldn't 'bugger' about with it in the same way.... but I can assure you that I stopped doing this once I had OSX and I have never missed 'buggering' about with it because it just works 100% all of the time...

I am not here to convert anyone but I am absolutely totally sure that if anyone tried Apple/OSX they won't EVER go back to a Windows based machine again, it really is that good...

Pioneer DV-717 x 2 or Pioneer PD-S505 Precision (Tom Evans Tuned) or Marantz CD50 SE or Arcam DV79 Through: SLIC Innovations Digi Coax To: Audio Note Dac One 1x Signature Through: SLIC Innovations Eclipse C RCA To: Audio Note Oto SE Through:TQ Ultra Black Speaker Cable To: Rega RS3's or Living Voice Auditoriums

Be nice to people, you MAY get some of it back when you need it most....

"Smile, it's free therapy"
    "This week I will mostly be listening to music"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 125 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast