+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 200 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

Apparently my info is they intend doing just that later by calling it an urgent update
    It looks like there is a security problem in win 7/8 that they can't or won't fix and this is their response irrelevant if your hardware or other software can work with 10. If this is the case they should have the balls to say so

I would like to see a multiple class action taken against them in states
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Windows 10 is fine when it works. Unfortunately it hasn't for me for any extended periods of time. I've had all kind of trouble with it not installing updates, mouse touchpad not responding, removing pre-installed programs after finally getting updates etc. These problems aren't unusual after doing a bit of checking.

I'm done with windows for now. I'm using linux for browsing etc and an IMac for music based stuff. Can't be doing with the hassle.

I'm Grant.

I dont blame you Paul. Microsoft are going to lose business,I hope anyway. I am doing my best to keep it out of my pc. I dont allow any downloads, yet its doing its best to change it by changing my selection. I dont download any updates now... this is because if I do they slip in win 10 stuff to take control of the pc. I will now have to risk problems with security because microsoft are trying to infect my pc with their malware...ie win 10 and its associated programs ... If apple had any idea of how to take advantage they would start making macs at a more sensible price and clean up

If I can find someone to give my pc Linux that works then That will be my leap forward
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    If apple had any idea of how to take advantage they would start making macs at a more sensible price and clean up
    Apple already make an affordable computer, the Mac Mini. I owned a used Mini for the last 4 years and it was as quick when I sold it as the day I purchased it. I would still be using it today but some naughty person gave me a lovely iMac 27" for Christmas

I have had real time experience with Windows based machines since about 1987 and was a statistical programmer for years using Windows machines. However I would NEVER go back to a Windows based machine. While Apple machines may seem expensive in the first place in the long run they are a bargain in real terms

I purchased my Mini 4 years ago for £250 and just sold it for £180 which I consider a bargain and there is absolutely no comparison with any Windows based machine and anybody that tells you any different has definitely not had the experience that I have had and have not used an Apple OSX based machine in the real world..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Apple already make an affordable computer, the Mac Mini. I owned a used Mini for the last 4 years and it was as quick when I sold it as the day I purchased it. I would still be using it today but some naughty person gave me a lovely iMac 27" for Christmas

I have had real time experience with Windows based machines since about 1987 and was a statistical programmer for years using Windows machines. However I would NEVER go back to a Windows based machine. While Apple machines may seem expensive in the first place in the long run they are a bargain in real terms

I purchased my Mini 4 years ago for £250 and just sold it for £180 which I consider a bargain and there is absolutely no comparison with any Windows based machine and anybody that tells you any different has definitely not had the experience that I have had and have not used an Apple OSX based machine in the real world..
    I would have bought it if I knew how to work it Bev. Alas I dont get macs at moment and would need a lot of initial help. I'm using an ipad 4th gen at moment and finding it great. May get a keyboard for it eventually but have a Belkin thunderstorm and the 2 sound pretty awesome.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I would have bought it if I knew how to work it Bev. Alas I dont get macs at moment and would need a lot of initial help. I'm using an ipad 4th gen at moment and finding it great. May get a keyboard for it eventually but have a Belkin thunderstorm and the 2 sound pretty awesome.
    Grant you would be very surprised how easy an OSX based machine is to get to grips with, they are so very intuitive to use. I know I am coming from being fairly computer literate, I guess, but seriously Apple machines are much easier to use than any Windows based machine

If you can use an iPad you would get on very well with an OSX machine
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Grant.

Grant you would be very surprised how easy an OSX based machine is to get to grips with, they are so very intuitive to use. I know I am coming from being fairly computer literate, I guess, but seriously Apple machines are much easier to use than any Windows based machine

If you can use an iPad you would get on very well with an OSX machine
    I'm very windows literate, but I got an old mac mini a while ago and switched it on... stared for a while and switched it off again. gave it to Gazza for his lad.... it didnt do anything.. I kinda expect some sort of format to work with. lol
    Last edited by struth; 05-02-2016 at 23:59.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

. . . there is absolutely no comparison with any Windows based machine and anybody that tells you any different has definitely not had the experience that I have had and have not used an Apple OSX based machine in the real world..
    This bit you have correct Bev, no comparison at all and it's called 'end to end control' and it's the Apple Achilles heal for system builders
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Gary.

All the hassles you guys are having with Windows 10, along with it playing fast n loose with your privacy for gowd knows why made me dump it.

"I got bad feeling about this.."
    Gave it a bash but naa....

Installed Windows Server 2012 R2 (based on 8.1) and I know exactly whats going on.
    Rock solid, rapid and reliable.
    Also, being a business OS I dont get hassled for "upgrades" to Windows 10 either.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

It looks like there is a security problem in win 7/8 that they can't or won't fix and this is their response irrelevant if your hardware or other software can work with 10.
    I am of an opposing view. I actually think that W7 and W8.1 are quite secure once you observe the security measures put in place to combat flash, java, pdf, and MS Office documents related attacks.
    W10 is less secure in some of the ways that I am able to use in W7 and W8.1 without any hassle. I have tested that with a couple of programs that I have been using for ages to test for certain types of data leakage. Without going into too much detail, I have two programs that communicate with their home servers at boot up and before any firewall settings have kicked in. I can block them from doing that in W7 and W8.1. It fails terribly on W10, even when I use the same security measures. But even more worrying is that another of my test program can still access the home server even though I have blocked it from doing so in the W10 provided firewall settings. I don't have that problem in W7. I can get it blocked in W8.1 via other means.
    What that tells me that if some programs can tunnel in an out of your PC with greater ease under W10 then they could before. Then who else is using a similar method to access your PC data?

+ Reply to Thread