+ Reply to Thread
Page 124 of 200 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Dan.

Can't believe that this still happens, but I know it does

My business is all about Digital Media and I also recruit into GCHQ, the Home Office and a few UK Defence companies re IT Security people etc...

I work on a Mac so always laughed when we got these calls; would string them along and then once I got bored, mentioned the Mac and they hung up, so rude

We bought the BT 8500 Enhanced Call Blocker handsets mid last year; we're on the TPS register, but still got calls! We haven't had ONE bogus call/recorded call etc since we got the handsets and we don't even get the full usability of these phones as we're with Virgin and not BT. So, if you do get these calls, these handsets are very much a good way to rid them once and for all... I'd highly recommend them!
    Bigger than you...

My Office : 2021 M1 MacBook Air > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via iTunes & internet > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > SMSL SA50 integrated > AE109 speakers - QED cables

I'm Geoff.

This is interesting. And it shows how dumb the government (May) can be.

http://boingboing.net/2017/06/04/the...ng-canute.html
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Garry.

Monday and Tuesday they have phoned here , only know it was them by typing the number of the call on net. Says it comes from a microsoft scam site . Yesterday it was just a silent phonecall.

I'm Alex.

Had another scam call a couple of days ago, a nice Indian lady phoned, same sort of thing, errors on my router, but a little different here, she wanted to replace it.

I asked her what make and model the replacement would be, she said she didn't know. I said that I need a good make, she said hold on she'd check, a few sec later she said it was a DCT. I said that that's OK.

Next she asked my to press CTRL and the windows key on my keyboard.

Now for my plan, I said that I detected something evil coming from her end and that I was going to put a curse on her. Unfortunately, I don't speak any other language other than English, I said some Mumbo Jumbo stuff based on about four Hebrew words that I know (but not the meanings!).

The nice lady seemed surprised, I added that the curse would take effect from tomorrow. She said that it will be reversed back on me. I said that that would not work as I'm a good person. (only partly true!).

She then cut off.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Had a silent one yesterday too. someone must have lifted before me. I would have volleyed off some vernacular I guess. must try the curse
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

I was told that the silent ones are often just a machine dialling automatically, when an answer is not received after a short time one just gets the silence.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I was told that the silent ones are often just a machine dialling automatically, when an answer is not received after a short time one just gets the silence.
    I get a few of those. I also get many where somebody babbles at me in Punjabi. Wrong numbers no doubt.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

As both my scam calls were claiming falsely to be from Taltalk, I phoned Talktalk. They were quite helpful, I have noticed an improvement in the last year or so, well, let's face it they have been pretty poor on occasions in the past.

Talktalk asked me about the calls, said that they would investigate, advised me of the free last caller barring service and put me on it. If a scammer calls, at the end of the call I just dial in a code and that number is blocked.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    could be.. I was under impression the machine dialed several numbers at once and when someone answers the others just go silent as there was only one accepted call on other end. yours sounds like it could be accurate.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

The worry I had years ago was that a burglar was testing to see if one was in.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread