+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 200 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Geoff.

I had Windows 8.1 on a brand new Acer and took the free W10 'upgrade'. That PC is in the living room for the grand daughters to use. It works fine and they use Chrome for everything online. I gave it to them to use as I just don't like W10 and didn't like the 8.1 that was on previously.

I use Maxthon Cloud browser on this PC (in my den). It has its quirks, but I like the way it opens a new tab from each item on the favourites bar.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nathan.

I've never even heard of that browser. I'll have to check it out.

I never found anything about Windows 8 that I thought was an improvement over 7. It was OK on a phone, but didn't fit the PC workflow very well. 7 is unsupported now so it doesn't get driver updates for some of my hardware anymore.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

All Windows 7 support ends in 2020. No doubt, like XP, it will continue to be usable after that. Keeping security up to scratch becomes trickier and functioning browsers get thinner on the ground. If you load XP these days, the Internet Explorer 8 that comes with it won't work, so you need a browser on a memory stick to get online. Then you can download one that does work. SRWare Iron is a good portable browser.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nathan.

They've already stopped updating DirectX. I think it has been backported, but it's becoming a hacked together system. I think commercial licences are still being updated.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

All bar win 10 are pretty much car wrecks now. They found them to be leaky and the fixes broke them, so they decided to move folk on. If you can get service pack 1 and the other one ive forgot its name and then shut off everything else update wise then it works mostly. But its got gaping holes in and needs a very good set of security options fitted. That slows it a lot. I got fed up with it all and gave in. Tbh glad i did..waiting was a good move though til they got all the trials over with
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I suppose this is computer related. I've tried a few recent digital compact cameras and they take crap photos. My current Lumix DMC-LF1 is nice enough to use, but the images are nothing special to say the least. Its 12.1 mp count should deliver sharp enough photos but they really aren't great. My old Kodak P880 with a mere 8.0 mp runs circles around it. All down to lens quality I guess.

I'm Grant.

its mostly sensor size that makes the difference, and lens of course. charged-coupled device ones are generally better but cmos have caught up now mostly. in compacts pixels are not overly important, but the size of the pixels does.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Just tried to open Google and Google News from the favourites bar on Maxthon Browser. Just get a blank page. Internet Explorer works fine though. Weird. Two things spring to mind. Maybe Maxthon has just received updates that have wied the Google addresses. Or these two sites have changed addresses.

Hmm. Copied the addresses from I.E. Did a 'paste & go' into Maxthon. No joy. I'll reboot and see if that sorts it.

I'm Geoff.

Yup. That worked! Strange.

This PC is a bit cranky. The Windows 7 installation is from a genuine OEM disc bought new by myself.

When I've got nothing better to do I'll reinstall.

I'm Grant.

used to get that occasionally. restarting pc often cleared it
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread