+ Reply to Thread
Page 122 of 200 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Yes he should look at using http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=vinux
    which has support for both Braille and visually impaired persons.

and it is free

Hope this helps.

Cheers / Chris
    Thanks Chris, only yesterday I was talking to him about using him using Linux, I will look at Vinux.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hard to say. I always buy second hand monitors. My current 22" HP has given good service for years. May go for something bigger soon. I also have crap eyesight.

There's a used 24" Asus on ebay for £80 in Harrow. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-VW247...kAAOSwtGlZFa77
    Actually, my 24" BenQ is the first brand new monitor that I have bought, was just over £100 about 3 years ago, all others have been used, some good, some not so good. My eyesight is not brilliant either. First noticed the reduction about 17 years ago when I could not read the writing on fuses without an aid. I will look at the 24" Asus listing, but I'm really tempted to recommend new for this neighbour. Thanks for the link, have just sent it to the him.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Win 10 has better things for visually impared.. he will get a free upgrade from 7.
    Thanks, did not know that, thought that the free upgrade had finished.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

My BenQ 24" monitor is still sold today, gets good reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Monitors/...4+inch+monitor

Has HDMI, DVI, VGA, and headphone connections, I find the picture quality very good, minor niggles, built in speakers could be better, adjustment buttons a little difficult to use, but once set, don't really need to touch them.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Thanks, did not know that, thought that the free upgrade had finished.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/acce...ndows10upgrade
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Thanks, I probably qualify too.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

This might be good for the neighbour:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2760...7+inch+monitor

But price increases a fair bit for this next size up from mine.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Been messing around with an old HP DC5800 machine, core 2 duo 2.93 GHz, 4Gb RAM, Toshiba 500GB hybrid hard drive.

Put Linux Mint 18.1 Mate on it, runs well, but can’t seem to get the screen resolutions I need, suspect it’s a graphics driver problem, haven’t sorted it.

Thought I’d try Windows 8.1 pro. Installed it and a fair bit of other software inc. Sophos, Malwarebytes Premium, VLC Player, XN View, Firefox, Glary Utilities Pro, Office 2007 Pro and RadioSure.

All devices including a PCIe USB 3.0 card and a USB Wi-Fi adapter were recognised and worked fine, no searching around for any drivers

Seems to run well. Boots in around 23 seconds, not bad.

I was looking for the end of support date for 8.1, didn’t find it, anyone know?

Also 8.1 boots to the Start Page, tried the usual adjustment (https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-boot...ws-8-1-2626240) to make it boot to the desktop, doesn’t seem to work, any suggestions? Thanks.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Used to just tick a box in the navigation panel i think. Might have changed. Win 10 is better tbh. Its pretty stable too. Ive not had any probs
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Thanks, I tried that, didn't seem to work. Don't think I'd ever use 10 for the Big Brother reasons.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread