+ Reply to Thread
Page 145 of 200 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

My laptops down. Been sitting in a major update. Think I will just leave it and see if it resolves itself.

Time for bed soon anyway. I go before my grandson now. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

that was the big april redstone 4 update delivered in late may.lol. changed quite a lot of things, some i, not so happy about. no more connecting between pc's on my network it seems for one
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

My neighbour just brought me his relatively new Lenovo laptop with W10 on it. It failed on him recently during an update. Windows begins to load, then a message that the desktop is not available.

I normally steer clear of W10, but said I'd look at it.

My first thought was to try Windows Restore, but I can't get the desktop.

Next idea is to try to get into Safe Mode, then try restore.

However, it seems that the things are not set to enable me to get into Safe Mode. I cant get at them cause I can't get in to Windows, Doh!

Next idea I'm downloading a W10 ISO, and will use Rufus to make a bootable W10 stick. Then I should be able to get to some tools.
    Last edited by spendorman; 26-05-2018 at 16:09.
    Spendorman

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    that was the big april redstone 4 update delivered in late may.lol. changed quite a lot of things, some i, not so happy about. no more connecting between pc's on my network it seems for one
    Open Services.msc, scroll down to "Function Discovery Resource Publication" set to Delayed Start and also 'Start' the service.

It seems that MS mucked up big time when they deleted (the much hated) Homegroup function not realising Network discovery would be impacted.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    My neighbour just brought me his relatively new Lenovo laptop with W10 on it. It failed on him recently during an update. Windows begins to load, then a message that the desktop is not available.

I normally steer clear of W10, but said I'd look at it.

My first though was to try Windows Restore, but I can't get the desktop.

Next idea is to try to get into Safe Mode, then try restore.

However, it seems that the things are not set to enable me to get into Safe Mode. I cant get at them cause I can't get in to Windows, Doh!

Next idea I'm downloading a W10 ISO, and will use Rufus to make a bootable W10 stick. Then I should be able to get to some tools.
    Booting W10 from a stick will get you to the Troubleshooting area. But also if Windows does not boot up several times (I think it is 3 times) you get to the same Troubleshooting area. Booting from a USB is cleaner, but one has to make a bootable USB drive.

I'd highly recommend in any event once you get to the troubleshooting area you open a command prompt and take a backup of your friend's data files (just in case). You will need an external drive of sufficient capacity. An alternative is to image your friend's drive (using a tool such as Macrium). Good luck.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Open Services.msc, scroll down to "Function Discovery Resource Publication" set to Delayed Start and also 'Start' the service.

It seems that MS mucked up big time when they deleted (the much hated) Homegroup function not realising Network discovery would be impacted.
    cheers.. was in there yesterday switching off windows search and the graphics shadowing to help my old pcs run faster.

done that and seems to be picking up one pc anyway
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    cheers.. was in there yesterday switching off windows search and the graphics shadowing to help my old pcs run faster.

done that and seems to be picking up one pc anyway
    Sorry, I meant to say you will need to do this on each PC you have upgraded. Each PC needs to broadcast its presence to the LAN. That's how discovery works.

I'm often having to work with old PCs. By far the biggest improvement is to install a SSD, then reinstall of everything (OS and all programs), then RAM etc.

I'm Grant.

Sorry, I meant to say you will need to do this on each PC you have upgraded. Each PC needs to broadcast its presence to the LAN. That's how discovery works.

I'm often having to work with old PCs. By far the biggest improvement is to install a SSD, then reinstall of everything (OS and all programs), then RAM etc.
    just switched the other one, but although they see each other its saying i dont have share rights etc although i went back in and switched them on. odd, even the public folder
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Booting W10 from a stick will get you to the Troubleshooting area. But also if Windows does not boot up several times (I think it is 3 times) you get to the same Troubleshooting area. Booting from a USB is cleaner, but one has to make a bootable USB drive.

I'd highly recommend in any event once you get to the troubleshooting area you open a command prompt and take a backup of your friend's data files (just in case). You will need an external drive of sufficient capacity. An alternative is to image your friend's drive (using a tool such as Macrium). Good luck.

Thank you, Windows has failed to boot to the desktop more times than 3, perhaps 10 times, yet I don't get the troubleshooting area.

Just looking for a USB stick about 8GB size, then I'll make the bootable stick. Fortunately, there are no files of real value on the HD. I have used Macrium before, but generally use Seagate Diskwizard, a cut down version of Acronis.
    Spendorman

I'm Edward.

Hmm

Did you reboot machines?

Whilst I love the ease and flexibility of W10 I despise all of Microsoft when things don't go well.

Via Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread