+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 200 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Geoff.

Default Computer Disaster Corner

Well I haven't had one. A disaster that is. Just for a change .

My PC cock ups are famous and have featured here before. I tend to tinker and experiment too much.

Anyway, the PC seemed to be a bit slow lately and noisy with the fans whirring away. There were a few little bugs that my antispyware and antivirus hadn't cleared, so I did my periodic reinstall of Windows 7 and took the lid off the PC case and used an air duster and brush to clean it out. There didn't look as though there was a huge amount of dust and fluff, but what a difference! It's running virtually silently now and fires up very quickly. Nice.

I've got a bit more software to add, but all seems fine so far. I'm bound to bugger it up sooner or later though. Still, live and learn.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Anto.

My son bollocks me for taking my pc out into the workshop and firing the air line through it
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Geoff.

It has to be done though, especially in my place. The dog's fur seems to get everywhere and the house is dusty anyway .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Anto.

Oh yes . I agree .
    3 dogs here and the hairs always blowing around the floor , and straight into all the bloody fans !!
    Dust too.
    Mind you ,you can imagine what a farmers house is like

At least I remember to put my finger against the fan before I give it a good slug on air through it
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Geoff.

Been trying some anti spyware solutions. I had 10bit Malware Fighter on there briefly. No good, despite its popularity. It had something called IMF.exe running in the background using loads of processor capacity, so it was soon uninstalled. Malwarebytes is always dependable, but does slow PCs down a bit. As does the latest incarnation of Spybot. I always install One Click Spyware Expert anyway, regardless of what else I may use. It's an old utility, but free and works on all Windows installations and it digs deep, finding all sorts of bugs. Not real time though, manual scans. I'm just messing about really, my security suite from Comodo covers every need anyway.

I'm Gary.

Yup...
    heat n dust are the enemy!

At at least till you go water cooled
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

I like my old W7 PC. It's a cheap ex office use HP. The spec is average, but it's quick enough and dependable. I have a nearly new W8.1 Acer that I'm just not so keen on really.

I'm inactive.

I have an old Mac Mini in the shed that I use for toons when I'm working. Earlier in the year the WiFi stopped working so I opened the box to take a peek.
    A spider had laid it's eggs in the narrow space between the WiFi card and casing and the associated goo had rotted some of the card's tracks - a different kind of bug

I'm Geoff.

You never know what you're going to find when the lid comes off. My grand daughters have managed to get all sorts of unlikely objects into the various PCs I've given them. Not to mention the drinks spilled on everything and keyboards full of crumbs and beads and the like. And the inevitable and usual dog fur everywhere.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I really don't want to sound smug and I am not pushing Apple products, however..

I made a good living programming Microsoft pc's for a number of years so I know Windows based machines pretty well

About 3 years ago I purchased a used Mac Mini to see what all the fuss was about with Apple. I am still using that old Mac Mini. I have never had to re-load the operating system, I have never picked up a virus and it runs as fast today as it did when I purchased it

My Mac Mini cost me about £200 and I consider it as one of my best purchases I've ever made

I would NEVER go back to a Windows based machine and to be honest you couldn't give me one for free, I just wouldn't touch it

I remember doing complete operating system re-installs of Windows every 6 months or so, trying to get rid of persistant viruses and other problems

I do use a free anti virus software from Sophos just in case but have very very rarely needed it. Sophos was the same software that we used commercially

I would recommend going the Apple route to anyone, and it can be done cheaply as I have proved, and I can guarantee you will be amazed at the level of stability with the OSX operating system

I am quite sure that if you try an Apple OSX based machine you also would never touch Windows again..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 200 1231151101 ... LastLast