+ Reply to Thread
Page 200 of 200 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I wanted to buy a laptop from the 'refurbished' seller Grant linked to, but Anita had other ideas - as it is a Christmas gift for me (using it already!) she wanted to buy new.

It's a pretty low-spec one,only costing £250. Don't ask me about the specifications, I've no idea. The discussion in the shop was almost entirely between Anita and the shop's tech guy. Now I know how my kids felt when they came with me to motorcycle dealerships

This thing has a lot more buttons and it's going to take a while to get used to it (I've never made so many spelling mistakes), and I haven't worked out how to 'right click' yet, as I found out earlier when trying to include a link.

I don't like change. Maybe I should have got the old one fixed and got a dozen new albums instead...
    think its shift and f10
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

I imagine it would be easier, and ideal if I was seated at a desk or table. But I always use it while on the sofa. With the old lappy I just clicked on the right hand side of that big clicky area, but this does nothing on the new one. It has to be one of these buttons, I'll consult with the brains of the outfit when she gets up
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

if youve the 3 buttons above the pad its the right one, or is on mine. but tried shift f10 too and both work om my zbook
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

You should find the manual online.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i always fit a mouse to my lappys... much easier
    I used a thumb trackball with my laptop years ago. Great to use as you could just lean back in the chair and do what was needed, but they kept wearing out.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it looks like it's sorted now
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Well, my PC monitor packed up earlier, good job I could borrow the one from the missus computer. Found another cheap used monitor for sale on ebay 1/4 mile away from me and bought it. Hopefully sorted now!

Can't really grumble, I got near ten years out of the old one and that was second hand .
    Picked up the ebay monitor last night, the seller address was 500 yards away . It's a 22" LG and like new condition, very clear picture, nice. OK for thirty quid I reckon. I'd have a larger one , but don't really have room.

I'm Geoff.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yep, and most of it is pretty accurate.

I worked on the first release of a Windows NT development in EU in 1991-93 for one of the banking institutions with about 100 others. It was a workflow system using Windows NT Gold(pre-release of NT 3.1). The system was developed in house with Visual C++ and Visual Basic and some other stuff, we had direct access to Microsoft engineers and developers for support. The servers and desktops were not cheap, I think around £25-30K for one server without storage and we used 4 different ones, the desktop Workstations were at least £3K each. I suppose if you add inflation then today they would cost about 6 times that. I ran the test/implementation team, the system integrated with early Interactive Voice Response(IVR) which interfaced with support team end users at workstations, we document laser scanners and image storage was done on laser discs machines that looked like washing machines. It was what you could genuinely call 'Bleeding Edge Technology' at the time. As I understand it the core of the system is still in use today, although the Servers, physical IVR, scanning and storage methods have improved somewhat. I ran Windows NT at home on ridiculously expensive PC with just about enough RAM to support it, so I could keep up with it and the rapid changes. It took about 3 hours to install initially around 16 floppy disks, remember those, a year or so down from that CD-Rom came along. Windows NT back then was a tricky beast, it worked but if the HAL(Hardware Abstraction Layer) on boot up did not recognise an installed piece of hardware it would either crash or install a generic Drivers/DLLs, which often would be problematic. Change installed hardware in a machine at your peril. What made it worse was that 3rd party manufactures would often change chipset versions on boards, like GPUs, Network cards and others, with no integration testing with NT having been, a recipe for disaster. This was nearly the downfall of Microsoft as it got completely away from them until they went down the recommended and supported developer and hardware list route.

Interesting if somewhat fraught times.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Interesting if somewhat fraught times.
    Yes. Even before Microsoft I had a friend who was excited about the genesis of PC's, writing code to cassettes half a lifetime ago. I think Windows just getting established by the time he smoked himself to death.

+ Reply to Thread